Guppies Male Female ratio

BK

For some reason I end up breeding alot more females than males. Is this common and what if anything could i do to increase Male %. Tank is 2x1x1

temp at 26-27 ph at 7.4. I have 2 more tanks this size I'm going to set up this week end for Live bearers and a 3x1-1/3x1-1/3 for Dwarf Cichlids. That will make it 10 tanks in the fish room and 6 inside.

If you have enuf available tank space.

Set up another tank exactly the same as far as water, fish , etc.

BUT keep the second tank at 20oC

Often temp decides or has affect on the sex ratio.

Just reread your post to make sure I didn't miss anything :oops:

I see you have some similar tanks so I'd go for it.

You aren't going to loose anything, and you may gain your desired affect.

Also if you keep GOOD records, you may find that certain females/males produce more males than others.

Also the reverse

Dispose of the reverse ones and concentrate on the MMP's and you'll have more males than you can shake a stick at.

Alan 104

so the fry tank should be about 20*C to help produce more males or the tank that the breeding guppies are in?

I seem to be having a lot of guppy fry that I have to cull because their tails seem to end up all munted and they soon die and their dausal fin and anal fin just don't develop at all or they are hard up against the body and never open. Yet out of the same batch of fry I will have some that are totaly fine.

I am saying PJ, to try it, as different temps in the breeding tank can and do get different results.

When the fry have been born, the die is cast.

As far as the finnage goes, that's why we have a process called culling, or supplying live food for hungry guests, oscars etc.

Alan 104

Cheers Alan, I've heard this my self that the temp does have effect on the ratio. Interesting point you made about some females producing more of one then the other. These were meant to be live food for the Discus but they didn't even notice them.

LOL thanks for that comment but if I get another tank now my husband would probably divorce me which means all $$ out the window lol but once we get into our own house when we can afford to buy one my husband is talking about the "idea" of "maybe" letting me set up a little breeding setup so heres hoping :D Will keep my 2ft for my main display tank and a pile of small tanks to hold fry and seperate them and maybe another bare bottom 2ft to hold all the guppies that will be for sale :D but I have noticed that most LFS prefer more males than females as it makes a better sale point.