New 87l Ciclids Tank

clarkeymaster

I just brought today a 87l tank that im going to set up as an african ciclids species tank. what i have at the moment is an undergravel filter system but im going to add another internal filter. it will have a 100w heater. a lot of stones(if anyone in auckland has some flat rocks that are very cheap or free please PM me). the pH will be around 8 hopefully.i will be posting pics of it when its set up ready for fish. is there anything else that african ciclids like or what i have to watch out for.

I have got the 87l african cichlid tank set up now, no fishes in it as yet. The pH of the water is around 8.5 at a guess but i tested the water and it read 8.2-8.6, to keep the pH like that i have aragonite and coral sand as a gravel. there is the u/g filter plus a AquaClear 50 external power filter that is turned on high that pumps around 700lph. in it, it hjas a 150w heater thats keeping the water at around 27C/81F. the lighting is 40w but that lighting is shared over another tank next to it.

some questions i would like to ask are.

What fish could i have that can cycle the tank for me for about a month?

Is there anything i need to look out for in the tank with the pH above 8 and the temp around 27C/81F?

What algae eater could i have in the tank?

Could i get some common names of african (malawi) cichlids that i could have in this tank?

Also if anyone has some 'fish safe flat rocks in the auckland region for free or cheap pleras PM me.

Cheers

Hello Again

In the tank at the moment i have got 4 Electric Yellows(3 from DG)(1M,3F) and a pair of Royal Blue Peacocks. African Cichlids are so fun to watch especially at feeding tim and how they weave in and out of caves.

I will be posting a pic soon. i am gona be getting a pair of lombardoi and havent quite decided what else.

Looks neat sc. Are those the rocks you got from stoneworld? The fish should have fun in there :P One observation tho is those plants you have I believe are called acorus gramineus or Japanese rush. These plants won't grow submerged and will ultimately die. They are a bog plant and really need most of the leaves out of water to grow. Its a shame when LFS stock and sell these - and they are very widely available - that this is not pointed out to people.

• 2 weeks later...