Is is neon tetra disease?

Caper

Jude, found an old post of yours in 2004 but wasn't sure to use that or start a new one.

Anyway, after sometime trying to get a good pic this is all I could get.

The red in the one in the front is pale. :( He is one of my first neons. One of the new ones I bought the other day, a tiny one, his red is faded as well but I can't catch him to get him out of tank.

DSC00690.jpg

Have been looking on the net to see if I can find pics of the disease. I've taken the fish out and put him in a bucket of tank water & put air in. How long can I keep him there?

PLEASE HELP...what should I do? Could it be something else? just read somewhere on the net that low oxygen (don't think that is it though)

Just checked water: ammonia 0; nitrites BETWEEN .3 & .8. Back later, have to go change water!

I don't know but this fish is looking the same :( Could the high nitrites be doing it? Found some pics on the net but those fish had the blue gone as well the blue is still on these guys?

Please help :(:(

DSC00698.jpg

They become pale when stressed

Just found this on a website...so stress could be doing it?

I'm no expert, Caper, but you may be right about the nitrites. I have read that neons can be difficult when cycling a tank and prefer an established system.

But as they say 'Where there is life, there is hope." All I can suggest is that you do extra water changes until the nitrites drop away.

Best of luck!

If those in the pics are YOUR fish... then you ain't got NTD.. so calm down.

The fish in the bucket won't last long without heat, so bag it up and float it in the tank for a while before you release it.

With all the fussing and testing you are doing, I don't wonder the little buggers look a bit pale.. but personally, they look like normal healthy Neons from the pics.

Bill.

:oops: :oops: Tomorrow was my test day/water change but since I thought something was up I tested today.

The pics didn't come out good...good meaning you can't see that the red is faded. Poor little bugger is back in tank. I'll have to see what tomorrow brings. But the red really is faded. Are there other reasons that this could happen?

Isn't part of the cycling process having nitrites increase?

Thank you...thank you :bow::bow:

Hi Caper

Just wondering how often you are changing the water, and how much? I expect its possible to do it so often and so thoroughly that the tank doesn't get a chance to cycle, especially if you are vacuuming thoroughly each time or cleaning the filter too often. Also. some test kits aren't very accurate so perhaps you could do a double check by taking a water sample into the pet store?

Cheers

Jude

110L tank:

Hmmm...one of my black neons (1 of my original fish is dying).

I'm thinking it is the high nitrites.

ammonia 0

nitrites higher than .3 but not quite .8

Last week I did water change 3 nights in a row because ammonia was high. I didn't vacuum just took out the water. Maybe I took out too much, 18L??? I haven't done anything with the bio filter and only replaced the other one once.

Other than that I was doing weekly changes which included vacuuming.

Should I change 10L tonight?

Would adding cycle help? Tank has been running since June 9th, 6 weeks. I think I added too many fish too soon :(

Yes, I was just reading it Bill...came here to check for replies.

What do you think about adding Cycle, yes or no? Should a do 10L change, no vacuuming just take out? Or...just add the cycle???

I didn't add my fish all at once, but I think I may have added them too soon.

DSC00711.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

Another one gone...he was hiding when I found him the red was almost as if it was turning white from the tail to the front, and his tail was "tattered" compared to last night. I know you can't really see the color good...tried to get good pic.

So, what do you think...stress? nitrites? NTD?

Sorry for so many pics...but I finally have a pic that you can see what I'm talking about.

So, is it neon tetra disease? If so, everything I've read so far states there is no cure. So, do I remove the remaining tetras and...well, you know...euthanize? I've also read that once this is in your tank you have to "disinfect" the tank before adding any more fish, is this true?

DSC00717.jpg

Poor you!..... It was only the last picture I could tell that the red was faded, the others looked perfectly normal to me. I have had a neon or two fade a bit like that....to be honest I am not sure if they have died or got better.....i have quite a few neons and it is hard to do a count up....but I haven't come across any corpses (and I forget how many neons I had in the first place.)

I have noticed that fish do pale when they are feeling a bit put out...recently i shifted my 2x three spot gouramis...and one of them hasn't taken too well to the shift. I am quite pleased to see her coming out for food, but her spots at times disappear completely...and immediately the other fish know she is feeling a little sluggish and give her a bit of a hard time. She is one of my favourite fish...and i really hope she makes a full recovery. The best you can do is just keep the water quality as good as you can without stirring the fish up too much. I don't think cycle can hurt. I also use and thoroughly recommend a water conditioner...it just seems to help settle the fish after a water change...the one I use is called aqua plus.

Good luck.

No, I dont think 10-18L in a 110 L tank would be too much. If I was doing it frequently I would do 20% or less so your amount sounds about right to me.

A light vacuuming would probably be good about once a week. Someone suggested to me that I should do half the tank one week and half the tank the other - at least in the initial stages

Cheers

Jude

Sorry to hear about your neon Capper, I had to put down my little neon (as vapo is a big wimp and couldn't do it)

It went pale too, then it kinda looked bent and munted so I took her out and put it in a Q tank for a week, she improved then suddenly went down hill so I froze her. None of the other neons are sick it has been about 3 weeks since her strange illness.

So I put it down to old age, your neon just could have been old. Or she was stressed. Keep an eye on the others (I know you will lol) and hopefully it was a one off.

Good luck!

Shannon...sorry about your fishie!

I read on the net that their spine can go "funny" if it is neon tetra disease.

A couple of days ago I noticed that one of my tetras...going up from the "belly" & to the top...white...almost like a triangle going through his blue stripe. Did yours go like that?

Tried to get a picture...but the only time he came close enough...he was on the wrong side!

Hello!

• 4 weeks later...