to mantis or not to mantis?

chimera

i took this photo tonight of my blue coral, just to the lower right looks suspiciously like a mantis shrimp - hard to make out but it looks like the body of one with two eyes. what do you think?

bluecoral-050711.jpg

whatever it is it's not there now.

Doesn't look like a mantis to me, they don't really have the protuding feelers like that. I've seen doezens of them, they normally can be seen living in a burrow, not in a cave.

If it is, i'll have it :) Mantis are way cool.

Pie

Ran into a Mantis at a friends house. He'd had the live rock in the tank for about a week when one of his fish disappeared. I went on guard and spotted the little bugger about 2 days later running into his home as the lights came on. Took us a LONG time to get the courage to get him out (none of us wanted to lose a finger or thumb) but eventually got him. He lived a short life at the LFS as they refused to feed him. SOOOO wanted to keep him as a "pet" but he wasn't exactly ornamental and the clubbing attachments make them dangerous in a glass tank.

So can you get Mantis shrimp for a specialized Marine tank? If anyone knows where I could get one, PLEASE let me know. I'd do a whole setup for just them.... provided they're a spearing type rather than clubber. bullet-proof glass is too damn expensive....

i have a small specimen, about 3 cm, living in my overflow box (got lots of rocks in it). seem him on occasions, but otherwise very shy. i guess if he would live in the tank then i would most likely never see him. don't know if its a spearer or smasher, just can't get close enough when he is out. :-?