Female bettas

ormali

Hi all,

I have two male bettas and one female. Mr blue/brown male is currently furiously building bubble nests and getting to know Ms black/red female on either side of a divider in what will hopefully turn out to be a breeding tank.

I happened across my female through a fish breeder in Christchurch a while back. Little did I know then how hard they are to get.

Is there a reason why the shops don't sell them? Or why no one else seems to? And if no one sells them, how am I to get a date for Mr red male who was not particularly pleased when I took his female away to put with Mr blue/brown? Even explaining to him that his red fins just don't match Mr blue/brown's fins only got him sulking harder.

So where do female bettas come from? Aside from my bettas which had better be having very rude thoughts in either side of that tank the kitchen, right this minute. :oops:

I am aware that breeding won't solve all my problems, even if I should be lucky enough to get the little blighters to adulthood. Still leaves Mr blue/brown with only one girlie, and I'm told they will be much happier when he is outnumbered and completely hen pecked.

Ask Mr red and he will tell you one was a whole lot better than what he has now!

:wink:

Shops usually sell males only as that is what the general public wants - the males with the long pretty fins. It is the same with a number of species :cry:

Plus, I would guess that if females are in short supply then fewer fry around to bring the price down by breeding heaps.

Heehee....I hope mr and mrs dutifully had rude thoughts about each other and acted on them for you....what an absolutely wonderful hobby!....The fish watching I mean! :oops:

Ring around the fish shos...they might be able to order you some in. I have noticed the same problem, I asked one fish store if they ever got in females and she said "when they become available" which I think, is plain hogwash...I suspect it is just that the females are so cheap (around $6.50-$9) and the males are so much more spectacular at around $12 - $18. But what happens to all those females from those same spawnings?

My female came from Redwood aquatics at Christchurch, and I am sure they would courier them north. I also saw females in one of the Critter Kingdom stores in Christchurch. Those are the only two shos I have seen them. Sometimes they become available on trademe.

I would love to breed these fish at some stage and would be interested to see how hard/easy it is to find homes for the female fighters, as they are beautiful fish in their own right.

• 2 months later...

Well from what I have been told our LFS has trouble getting females because they get held up with some form of authorities and end up dying before they reach the tanks at the store yet the males make it through with a snap of the fingers.

But my question about female fighters is are they able to go into a guppy tank? I know that males can't because they find the big tails of the male guppies a threat and attack. But was wondering if this rule applies for females?

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Most people breeding bettas in NZ don't have the patience to grow the males to full maturity and fin development so they are sold cheaply or even unsexed. The importers can get small or large fish and the market wants large so that is what is imported. I used to breed them and raise the males to good fin development but there are easier fish and that is generally what people go for.

i did one spawn and kept most of the fish until they were about 4 months old then sold/swapped them to fish shops

of the ones i have kept i think i have one male and 3 females - the two i put in my dads tank have grown alot bigger than the female i kept

i also have the male who depending on how u look at him is either blue or the greeney blue colour - teal