feeding a predator

Brianemone

for my new tank im considering getting a predator, and having it as the only fish in the tank as some of them have great colours and im sure they have the personalaties to match

i dont plan on buying chromis every week so i would have to wean it from live food to nonlive food, as a staple to start with i could use the ghost shrimp from the local rock pools and maybe even have a stock of them in the fugium. if all else fails and the fish doesnt take to prepared food then the shrimps would probably provide the bulk of the food for it. is it possible to breed them and if so what would be the time frame etc????

Define predator. Most fish are predators. Just some are predatory to smaller food like copepods instead of big food like other fish.:)

You could try something like a trigger if you have a tank big enough for it...

Most/all marine predators you buy will eat dry/frozen food anyway. Why just one, most are not like your freshwater predators and will happily live with other fish that are not small enough to eat. I used to have a big tank with a large wrasse, two different large groupers, dog face puffer, two smaller spotted puffers (these guys chased each other all the time) and a large blue tang.

If you want a small predator, a marine betta is a good option. These guys are an awsome sight when hunting live food like glass shrimps. They swim at the shrimp, point their two front fins at it, bend their body into a U and start shaking their tail. As soon as the shrimp looks at the tail it's all over in one quick bite. If they are being defensive, they swim tail first at you with their fins spread. Their tail looks like an eels head.