Share your opinions

debs01

OK here is a photo of my goldfish tank, and I know the colours are a bit loud but bear in mind its mine but I also wanted it to entertain my three young children.

:D

fish1.jpg

:oops:

So tell me, what does it need, does it have enough plants it doesnt have a light, is it neccesary? Whats missing??

Also how in the hell do you take good pictures of a bloomin fishtank!!

Because you don't have real plants there is no real need for a light as such, the room light should be sufficent for you to see your fishies.

I would prehaps suggest getting a few more taller plants for the back, it will give your backing paper more realism i think if you did.

I think it looks great though :D:D:D

Looks great :bow:

Personally I like different colors. Ahhh...maybe I'm in my second childhood :o

I'd check here regarding lighting.

Anybody can correct me please if I'm wrong, but I thought fish needed lighting for a certain amount of time, or is that just for tropicals?

I have a heck of time getting decent pics...there is a post here somewhere that gives suggestions on getting good pics...but I don't remember where it is...maybe somebody else (including author) can tell us?

How big is your tank? And what fish are in it now?

Thanks caper, my tank is 50cmX25cmX25cm I have three little fishes in it.

A goldfish with fantail, my 7yr olds - Goldie

A blackmoor, My 4 yr olds - Blackie

A calico fantail, my 2yr olds - Fishy

Nice and original names, aye!!! :lol:

Debsfishbowl-W.gif

If you dont have plants you dont need lights.

I would add some oxygen weed evey now and again, the fish will love it and eat it in a few days, just watch for snails as it often comes out of ponds and might have snails/eggs on it. I quick dip in water with a little bleach then a good rinse will kill them.

Blinkin lovely iznt it.

I agree a couple of tasty plants once in awhile be a good thing to watch the goldfish munch up.

Have you got polystyrene under it? Might be a good idea although maybe a small tank isn't so prone to pressure breakages.

Apart from that maybe some black paper to wrap right around the front and sides for when you have a headache :lol: Sorry i couldn't resist.

OMG, I can't believe someone actually bought those fake corals...

I think the fake corals are a cool idea. Saves taking them from their natural habitat and harming the coral beds. Our fish loved the one we were given - even though we took it out as it looked weird in our tank - they swam through it and rubbed over it for the couple of weeks it was in there. Of course they aren't going to be able to filter the water in a marine tank, but let's hope they keep making them more and more realistic.

Nice colouful tank Debs. Great for kids! As for the photos, does your camera have a macro setting? If you can figure out how to use it, you can usually get good pics from about a foot from the fish. Even closer if you have a camera capable of it. It took me ages to figure out ours as I've 'misplaced' the destructions (oops, instructions). I put it on A/S/M and pushed buttons til it came up with a wee ruler that went from 3cm to infinity. If yours does that, you'll probably be able to get good pics. Just play til you get it!

Good Luck!

Vapo.

The bright orange and green decorations are fake corals, my kids and fish love them!!!!

:lol:

And I think they bring character to the tank!!!!!

On a sadder note, we had our first fishy fatality last week, kids were shattered, but such as life.

Thank you all for your positive comments,I have now purchased a real plant for the tank and another "bright" purple fake coral, better and brighter than ever.

And I will keep practising taking photos, seems really difficult though :hail:

Oh well will keep trying36_13_13.gif

Sorry to hear about your loss debs01 :( . I hope the other two are doing okay.

It is difficult for children to lose their pets. Which one was it? My son (6 years) lost a few fish last year while we have been learning. I find fish more stressful for me than other pets like dogs and cats in that regard. It hasn't made him want to give up though - we are now planning a better size tank for him.