Filter Sponge... when to change it?

PENEJANE

I was wondering how often do you change the total sponge in the filter? My filter doesn't have the white fluffy stuff or activated carbon. Just a black sponge. When should this be renewed (not just rinsed out in tank water)

In doing this could I add the white fluffy stuff and activated carbon?? What is the benefits with having it?

How do I go about adding a new filter sponge if it needs to be replaced?

Activated carbon can adsorb some chemicals from the water. It can help to keep it a bit cleaner. Mostly it just removes that yellow tint from the water.

Sponges only need to be replaced once they start breaking up. Or when your new snails eat the damned thing (I was warned, but still put a sponge filter in with my new Pomacea canaliculata apple snails :lol:) .

I have some filter sponges over 10 years old that stll show no sign of disintegrating yet.

Activated carbon can make the water look cleaner. It also removes medications from the water so if you use it (and I never do) make sure you remove it from the filter first.

If I remember rightly, it is recommended you change the carbon every 3 months so it can be expensive to use all the time. If you don't, eventually it dumps all the stuff it has collected back into the water. :cry: