sick kribensis

meris

hi everyone, have been searching the net for help with my sick krib, & found this site, anyone have any ideas?....

i have a breading pair, & about 18 healthy littlies about 3months old. yesterday female was behaving strangely, isolating herself & hiding frm male. today found her stuck in java moss, i fished her out & put her in a net isolation container. she's gulping, lying on her side, sometimes upside down. also strugling to get to surface (kind of standing on tail)

have tried a salt bath - no improvement & 10% water change - also no improvement... :(

right now have her in v shallow water, proped upright with some java moss, she falls over if put in deeper water. have been told it could be swim bladder? :-?

male has gone into hiding & wont come out of the cave they "own"

also in tank: 8 harlequins & 8 swordtails. (all of wich seem healthy) Tank is aprox 150l & has been running aprox 1yr

any ideas? please help!!!!!

- Meris

It could be swim bladder but maybe something else (I am not too familiar with fish diseases so can't be more specific sorry). How old is she do you know, and how many times has she produced? She may just be exhausted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Meris,

Hope your female Krib pulled through.

Might have sustained some damage while trapped in the Java Moss.

You say:

male has gone into hiding & wont come out of the cave they "own"

He may be feeling a bit insecure without his mate around.

Bill.

:D

I proped her up in very shallow water & after a day she was almost back to normal... I let her out & she hid for a day (They have dug them selves a cave in the sand under a large flat rock) & now is happy & healthy - doesn't seem to have any damage from the java moss :D

Thanks everyone... :D