Who's their daddy?

Melanie

I have had the following fish in my freshwater aquarium for two days: four neon tetras and two gold-coloured mollies.

Today, I added six fancy guppies. When I bought the six fancy guppies, I noticed that three tiny baby guppies were also put into the bag.

After putting all of the guppies into the tank, I sat watching. I noticed that there were not three baby fish, but five. I looked closely at some of the baby fish and saw a neon stripe on them.

Are these tiny baby tetras, or are they very pretty guppy babies? I did not know that tetras had live babies. I thought they were egg layers.

I have one picture of the strange baby fish. If you look just by the mouth of the molly on the right, there are the two baby fish.

fish05.jpg

Does anyone know where they came from?

Were any of the six guppies that you got females??

Often when a heavily gravid female is moved she will abort or give birth to her brood.

I'd go guppies too, as you found some in the bag with the six you had bought.

Alan 104

Three of the six were females.

I've had a closer look. The funny thing about these fish is that they have a straighter back than any baby guppy I've ever seen and the same red and blue colouring as the tetras. I wish it was easier to photograph them.

But if they're guppies, they're guppies. They should look cool when they grow up!

From what you describe and I can see in the pic they look like baby white cloud mountain minnows. WCMM would be just the sort of fish that would breed in pet shop tanks to. Thats my guess anyway, will be interesting to see what you end up with.

Also, bit off topic but I noticed the plant you have in the picture, someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is a bog plant not an aquadic so will die and rot in your tank after a while.

The lady I bought from also had those minnows. I bet two sneaked in.

Looks like I got some free fish. I hope they grow up to get along with everyone else.

And thanks for the advice on the plant. The fish seem to like it but the first sign I see of it dying, out it will go.

WCMM's are nice fish, and they breed very easy. They can also be kept in cold water, I have a number (started out with 3) living in my outdoor pond which must only be a few degrees at the moment.

They will get to about 2cm and if you want to breed them use cold water when you do the water change. This makes them think it has rained.

Thanks for the advice. They're stuck in my tropical tank for now because I only have one tank. They seem extremely happy, are eating well and swimming well and getting along with everyone else, so I'm glad I got them. It will be interesting to watch them grow as I don't know what they will look like as adults.

Dead leaves don't sound good for the aquarium water.

We'll see what happens with mine. I thought it was something different when I bought it, something I'd had before. I have never seen anything like this one. So if it starts to die, I'll scoop it out.