Gourami losing colour spots

peanuts

Help, brought a keyhole gourami yesterday and placed into tank, today I notice that the tow black spots are fading. this fish is also swimming madly around the tank, doesn't seem to slow down. Is this normal?? the last lot of gourmai I had didn't move this much and liked to hide so this behavour seems odd.

any suggestions welcome...

yes I introduced her slowly, as for the previous tank, can't tell about ph level etc but the previous tank was tiny, ie 450 x 300 x 400 as an estimation going to my tank at 450 x 450 x 1000.

her previous tankmates where a male and female fighter and tiger barbs and a plec. she now has 2 scissortails, 2 black mollys, 3 serpae and 4 platies. she was introduced on her own and all the other fish are quite happy.

I was wondering if a gourami or keyhole was meant too but figured it didn't matter in this case.

A 3 spot gourami I think has 2 spots on the body and the eye is the 3rd spot. Might be wrong with that thought mind you :D

Are there plenty of hiding places and plant cover? Hopefully she will settle down.

It may not be the case with your fish, but often when newly introduced fish do badly and origional fish are fine, it can be a case of high Nitrates. The existing fish may become accustomed to poor conditions over time, whilst the new fish- regardless of allowing a normal acclimatisation period, will suffer.

This may not be the problem in this case, but if you experience problems repeatedly with introducing new fish it may be something to look into. Nitrate test kits are inexpensive, and a handy resource which can help to identify the underlying cause for all sorts of common problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peanuts. Just wondering, how is your gourami now? We had a stressed out female gold gourami and she reacted well to the addition of a male pearl and two more female three spot gourami - a blue and an opaline. Our pearl then becam quite stressed but settled after we put a big stump with caves/ holes in it and heaps of plastic plants attached. This made for more mid-height hiding places. He now comes to say hello instead of swimming manically up and down in the corner of the tank. She may need others to interact with, as ours are constantly touching each other with their 'feeler' ventral fins and/or she may need more places to hide.

Cheers,

Vapo.