~Wave~ Hello people!

Jadie

*wave*

Hi everyone ! I have been a guest lurker for a few weeks now but decided to join up as everyone here is so nice to each other!

Well, my new hobby started about.. 2 months ago (or was it longer?) hehe I was thinking of getting some lovely goldfish but never managed to do it until 4 weeks ago when I decided to go to Animates and get me my fishie!

Before that I was going online trying to find out what things I needed but everything was so new - that when I got into the store, I found myself completely lost! So with the help of the lovely lady there, I got myself a 27LT tank (plastic), 3 goldfish (2 comets & 1 blackmoor), gravel, pump, sponge&carbon/air filter and some decorations.

When I got home and started really searching the net, I realised that LO! my tank was way too small for my new li'l fishies and I got worried because one of the comets started to push the blackmoor outta da way whenever it's "feeding" time! And my blackmoor was starting to clamp his fins. So I thought, hm.. better buy a bigger tank right? So about 3 weeks later bought a tank from trade&exchange (approx 200LT capacity) and started to set it up.

I went against what I had taught myself online - I got compulsive and STUPID and bought 2 more fishies (1x red cap fishie? & 1x white fishie - fancytails) and then was stuck coz i didn't have my new big tank set up yet!! *DOH*!!

So I did the most stupid thing - I set up my big tank, which has a Shark 2 filter (grabbed new sponges? and a carbon/air thingie that attaches w/ it), put water ager in it, floated my 3 goldfish (comets&blackmoore) in the big tank and let them loose! I thought it's best not to mix the 3 fishies w/ the new fishies right? Just in case of diseases?? Hah, am I so wrong? :(

So basically I let my fishies in a new uncycled tank..... :(

I then put my new fishies in the 27LT and they are happy in it - fins are all up (now i'll make it my quarantine tank right?) - seem to be happy. Observing them though.

The problem now is :- Blackmoor and the 2 comets are showing signs of clamped fins (but not all the time). I'll go buy the ammonia & nitrite test kits this weekend but I am starting to get worried. When I first got the 2x comets & 1xblackmoor, one of the comets had a white dot on the end of his tail. I thought it was ick but kept an eye on it. It didn't spread out and it didn't get any worse so I thought better leave it.

NOW, as I've moved them to the new tank, the other comet now has a white dot on the top end of his tail! Do they have ick?

Also I am worried about the blackmoor :( I really really want my fish to live a long, happy and stress free life.

I really want to do things right - can you help? Hope to meet some really awesome people here! Thanks!! :D

Hi Jadie,

Hi everyone ! I have been a guest lurker for a few weeks now but decided to join up as everyone here is so nice to each other!

Glad you stopped lurking in the shadows....

Great to have you join us... at last :)

Your fish could have ich (white spot) but it is hard to say from your post (great couple of posts by the way)

Is it just a single white spot.... very small like a grain of salt, or is it bigger. ?

Have any more spots appeared ?

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

Welcome Jadie :D I found that the PH, Nitrate, Nitrite & Ammonia test kits invaluable when I was starting out. The shark 2 is a good filter :) and I am still using the one that I started out with. I also use undergravel filters (my tank is a tropical one) Although I did begin with goldfish. I started with a 10 gallon tank too and uncycled (What was cycling - I just did not know about such things).

Resisting buying fish is soooooooooooooooooooo hard :wink::wink: Even now I have to leave my purse with hubby when I just go to look around fish shops. Soo many fish and so little room :P

See I am now nattering so welcome and so glad you made an appearance ..... I was beginning to think the site was haunted with ghosts LOL. Welcom Jadie

*wave*

Hi everyone again! So nice to meet you all - what a wonderful reception :)

The single white pot looks like a bigger grain of salt.. like.. 1mm grain of salt.. is it still ich? So far no more spots have appeared - I am trying to observe my comets closely but they keep on moving! Wish I can grab em to tell em to be still! hehehe.. not too sure what else to do..

What kind of Nitrate,Nitrite & Ammonia test kits do you use? I checked out a pet store in Tawa and they have I think 2 different brands? One is very expensive (like $25) and the other is cheaper - does it make a difference? Oh yes, do you put your shark 2 just above water or entirely submerged in water? (It's second hand). I also have 2 UGF at each end, 1 end is carbon and the other end got white pieces (airstones?) in it.

I thought my tank does not have enough air so i got a airstone as well :)

I'll def get the tests tomorrow .... (*feels the pinch in her wallet*) Man, I didn't know goldfish keeping can be such an expensive hobby! But they are worth it! hehehe

:lol:

Hi Jadie,

You can also do small water changes (5-10%) every 3-4 days until the tank is cycled. This will help reduce stress a bit.

If you are in an area that has chlorine in the water, fill a 20L bucket and leave it for a couple of days. Use the water in the bucket for the water change, then fill it back up. By the next water change, the water in the bucket will be ready. For the first water change you could probably use water straight from the tap if NH4 is a bit high.

If the white spot you are talking about is bigger than a grain of salt and if there is only 1 spot, it is unlikely to be ich. It is more likely to be dead or decaying fin (fin-rot). This often happens when coldwater fish are moved from one water type to another, and usually to where the water is cleaner (like a new tank). Adding tonic salt usually fixes them up in a week or two. Salt is also really cheap as a fix. Follow the directions on the salt pack for the dosage.

Hi Warren,

Thanks for ya tip! I'll go buy myself some tonic salt tomorrow as well -

Just wondering, wouldn't the water ager combat the chlorine in my water for me?

Oh yes also, when I bought my 2comets, I think they got bumped around by the lady trying to catch them so had some abrasion's on their scales near their tummy. It still hasn't healed up - will the salt help as well?

Thanks very much!!

Yes salt will help with nearly any external bump or scrape. I don't use water ager, just personal really. Adding chemicals to cancel another chemicals effect doesn't seem like a good way to reduce stress to me. The water in a bucket method allows most of the disolved gasses (and all the chlorine) to escape prior to use. An airstone in the bucket helps speed the process somewhat.

:) I use the small Hagen test kits. they do the job for me.

The shark I have tried both ways. Also on the top is a small dial thingie which you can set from 0 - 3 for the flow aeration adjustment. As I have tetras in the tank I have settled for 0 and have the filter only just submerged. When I had the goldfish I had it just out of the water as the fish seemed to enjoy playing in the resulting turbulence. :P

The white thingies in your u/g filter end are most likely Zeolite which I also use on mine with the charcol. How did the tests go Jadie?

I run a Shark filter sitting just high enough that it agitates the top of the water without making a lot of splashing noises (annoying to listen to in the middle of the night). This increases the water surface area, which is good for the fish, and gives the fish a current to play in. Of course, if you have fishes which do not like such currents, you would have the filter lower down and the outflow aimed at the back of the tank so it would bounce off and slow the current rather than aimed into the middle of the tank.

As Goldie mentioned, the dial on the top also enables you to increase or decrease the force of the water flow.

Hello!

Well i went to Animates at Ngaio area and spent about $75 on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits and got myself a nice box of choc's! (They have this thing going on if you spend over $60 - you get a box of choc's!)

This tank has been up for about 1 week now.

My results are as follows :-

Ammonia : 0

Nitrite : about 0.2

Nitrate : about 3 or 4?

I got the Hagen test tube kits ..

So do you think there is a problem w/ my water that's causing my blackmoor to be all spastic? The other day as I was observing him, he did spastic moves to the left then right then left then right then stopped... and his fins gets clamped like 70% of the time i see him and sometimes they are up. Don't know what can be wrong w/ him....... :(

Yip, 0.2 is a problem. I'd do about a 50% water change. Nitrite makes fish go mental (or appear to). It will eventually kill a fish if left too long at this level. 0.2 is not too bad, but it is a danger sign and does irritate the fish. It also means your filter is working ok however as the ammonia is being converted. Ammonia and Nitrite are more toxic in higher pH water. Since goldfish like harder water (with a corresponding higher pH) you have to keep an eye on Ammonia and Nitrite. Do not change the pH however, just do a water change. After doing the water change you can sit back and enjoy watching your fish. They should be immediately happier. While doing this you can munch some yummy choc's. :D

Thanks for that Warren - I'll do a 50% water change - still gotta try to find a python syphon coz when I did like 20% water change on Thursday, I saw lotsa poop! :oops:

I also added some tonic salt to the tank - can I just add in the salt without dissolving them first?

I think after doing all of this, I DEFINITELY deserve my yummy choc's complimentary of Animates! hehehe :lol:

When I'm doing it I throw the salt in a small seive then just swish it up and down in the water. I find it easier than sucking out a bucket of water, disolving the salt in it then pouring the bucket back in, or filling up a couple cups with water.

I have a container above the aquarium with an airline attached. I fill it with water and salts and the bubbles dissolve it. I also trickles very slowly over about 1 hour into the tank.

Its an old Coke bottle (plenty of those around here) turned upside down with its bottom removed (now the top). Simply drill 2 holes in the cap (now the bottom) and connect 2 airlines. Put 1 airline to the air supply and set a slow flow. Put the other one into the tank with a plastic valve on it to slow the flow.

Start off using just water until the flow is about right (30-60 minutes to empty), then you can add the salt.

Now you have an automatic doser (well semi-automatic). All you have to do is fill it up and dump in some salt. Then you can walk away and leave it to do its thing. If you want, you could even munch some more choc's!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi everyone !!

I have a confession to make.. I kinda put the salt into the aquarium first before I asked the question and I had just put the salt in straight into the aquarium.... some fishies nibbled on the salt too.. but they look fine and guess what? My blackmoor now has his fins all up!!

He now looks funny coz he doesn't appear to be "black black" anylonger, it seems that his belly area and his fins are turning darkish brown.. How odd.. but he still beautiful to me..

Just worried at the way he sucks and eats his food off the gravel (I have river rocks (small-med), he doesn't seem to care about his eyes and everytime I see him try to suck food he sucks really hard and his eyes seem to bang against them. Hope he's alright - and now it seems HE is getting territorial now!! How odd, before it's the one comet that used to push him outta da way whenever it's feeding time but now he is pushing them both outta da way! I hope this is alright behaviour?

Thanks for the tip Warren and thanks for the lovely welcome Angel 2 :)