Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Controller Update

Featured Replies

  • Author

I can't run a standard distro because virtually all target generic x86 hardware. The board runs of a ARM9 system on chip, so a custom kernel build is the only practical way to go.

It doesn't really save a lot of time anyway. There are a few kernel patches which makes things run better, as well as trimming a lot of the unnecessary fat out. After all linux isn't designed as a RTOS.

There aren't really a lot of embedded distro's around, most stuff is custom built for particular devices, mainly because the with the level of customisation required for different hardware, you might as well build the whole kernel.

Also, the particular SOC i'm using only made into the main kernel tree in the last few months, so up until then, you had to patch the kernel and build it to get it to run anyway.

It doesn't really matter now, because I have a working kernel on the 1st proto, just not on the latest board.

Layton

  • Replies 55
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, going on the same track as Slappers is headed, you need to put a nice beige plastic case around it and set it up to play MP3s and run a marine tank. Then we'll call it the AmphI-pod. :bounce: You'll get rich!

What are you wanting to control? This (even if it was finished) may be overkill for what you want.

Yes I am sure your board is overkill for what I want.

My needs are very simple, I just want 3 stage cooling, ie, when the temperature hits a certain point, a fan comes on. If it goes up a degree, another fan comes on. If it goes up some more, the chiller comes on.

Some other members have been very helpful & pointed me in the right direction, & there have been some options, but they are expensive, so I just thought I'd check you out Layton see how it's coming.

I had no idea that debugging it would cost so much, I guess it is a commercial decision you will have to make. But I'm going to dispense some advice :D . - You appear to have a good grasp of this type of circuitry, programming, etc. You also know what an aquarium keeper will want. Therefore IMHO you are as well placed as anyone on the planet to make a top line product that will meet the needs. As a budgetory concession, go with the cheap Uni logic analyser and at least see if you can get this puppy finished.

I know so little about this market that I don't even know what other products are out there but you should have the required qualifications to produce a product that can clean up.

  • Author

I'm not really doing it as a commercial thing, especially for the aquarium market. It's not that big. I decided to create one mainly because i plan on doing a bit of travelling, and want the tank to be as self sufficient as possible, and to be able to check up on it at anytime, and control it remotely, then only call someone in to do something when I really need to.

The core system is transplantable into other types of completely unrelated systems, so there is potential to create other products (with much larger markets) from it.

The bandwidth and channels on the uni analysers are limited, and practically useless unfortunately, i've already tried :D But if I want to do anything related to electrical engineering, i'll need this equipment anyway I was hoping I wouldn't need it so soon though.

It'll get done, but at the moment it's a matter of having spare cash.

Layton

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.