Best way to store NSW ?

deeveus

Hey Cookie, no problem.

The weather down here has been appauling, so we havn't collected water for quite a while. Over 2 months for me.

In light of no water to change, I don't change any. I had a 25kg bag of salt I biffed out about a month ago, I would rather forgo the water change than use ASW. Keep in mind I have a low bio load fish wise and over 2500 litres of water, so this won't suit many people but works for me.

I really want to do the water change, as I am going to run Flatworm Exit on my refugium which is teaming with them, but its just not practical at the moment. So I can't wait.

As a general rule I try and do about 300 litres a month, which just just over 10% a month. So its not far overdue anyway and got a big (600 litre) change when we moved the sump a while back.

Pray for good weather for us.

Pie

weather has been crap in auckland for ages too, i havent changed in about 8 weeks - and it shows with the increased algae growth in the fuge :( the weather has stopped raining for a couple of days though so went down this morning and swapped out 200 litres (about 20%) which is not as much as i'd like but better than nothing. the corals have responded well to the change especially my purple bubble coral - the colour so much more vivid. the rest of the corals have fully extended polyps.

I've never used NSW, but I'm very interested in starting with my new 6 gallon.

I was thinking about setting up a smaller version of Control's storage system - a 75 litre container kept in the dark, Powerhead onto a piece of LR (with possibly some LS?).

I would fill the container and then leave it for 4 weeks, and then using the water. Topping the container up every three weeks or so with new NSW.

Surely this would allow the water to cycle, and keep an equilibrium by the mix of new water?

Pies ok post your data :D

seriously, be nice to see some real data on this topic

any life in the NSW will die off quick once oxygen is not freely exchanging... I seriously doubt tho that there is enough life in it for this resulting dieoff to cause much of a spike in any nitrates etc, but it would be nice for this to be experiementally proven........

Petshop, $120 gets you enough to make 600-700 litres

$20 dollars will give me a trip to sumner with my wife and kids with a trailer on the back with some barrels.

If I had the other $100 I'd be putting it towards stock for my tank.

Ira, the guy in parm sells a 25k (?) box of red sea salt for $120.

I'm no expert but isn't it more the minerals and trace elements in NSW that ASW can be missing that make the difference? Has anyone tested the calcium of ASW? I guessing a lot of small tanks wouldn't have calcium reactors or even kalk water topup.