On the bottom of the tank?

Davejey

Can we use builder's gravel on the bottom of the tank?

Will plants grow in it?

Or beach grit, with minimum shell content? I looked up the Hutt river but it is either sand or too coarse stones.

I need to cover 24"x 12" tank floor about 1"-2" thickness, which is costly buying the small bags from Fish-shop.

Cheers Davejey

:)

In Auck I went to Stone & Water World - they do bulk stones/ garden gravel etc - they are the people that supply some LFS... I got 25 ltr bag of brightwater for $12 - So shop around & look for some builder supplies stores in your area .... :)

Hi Dave,

The finer, dark gravel you saw in my tanks is from round seatoun, just a couple of shopping bags and a backpack if your brave. Or alternatively along the south coast round island bay and red rocks way. i find this stuff good as it is heavy enough for the fish not to disturb it, and fine enough for the catfish and fossickers to rummage through.

Also the churning motion of the sea has rounded it al nicely and it is fish safe :lol:

B

Thanks everyone for your advice; I finally got some sand and gravel as well as a few stones of different sizes.

Took me half a day to wash the silt out and then what was suspended in the water I just siphoned the tank empty and filled her up again.

Now its surprisingly chrystal-clear with my two 8" goldfish (from my pond)

"as happy as larry"

Cheers Davejey