Wanted - swordtail picture

pearlyred

Hi guys, im just wondering if any has a picture of a pregnant sword tail that is close to giving birth? We have a couple of ladies we think are pregnant, but as we've never bred any fish before we dont really know whats they should look like when they're close to dropping.

Anyone help out?

Ta

lee

Hi Pearlyred,

Don't have a pic.. but I'm sure there will be some on the net.

When your Swordtails are pregnant.. (they always "will" be if they have been with males in a tank).. they become darkened around the vent area. The darker this area.. the closer she is. She will of course get quite a bit fatter around the belly area.

Avoid putting her in a breeding trap if possible, as my view is that this stresses the fish out.

Throw heaps of floating plants in the tank if you don't have a separate tank to put her in.

Quite a number will survive, and they are fairy prolific breeders, so you should get drops of fry around every six or so.

HTH:)

• 1 month later...

Great pics. We have been trying to work out if our female swordtail was regnant or not as she was getting mighty fat, and we thought she had a dark half moon shape shade around the vent area (but not a definite spot like the guppies get)....she SHOULD have been pregnant....we have 2 male swordtails......but she has been with them for months and although they have showed interest she never appeared to change...anyway....she started to look more like a platty with quite a belly on her and we were hopeful. I did the water change a couple of days ago and found a baby in the tank! I was just yelling out to Maree to come quickly......when a gourami said "MMmmmmmmm! breakfast!" ...and it was gone....we have hunted for more babies, but there are none to be seen.....and the female sword looks like a female sword again and not a platty...bugger! missed it! :cry: