Why did they do this ??

Billaney

I have a few bristlenose's in my 200L tank and have put pots and tubes and all sorts in for them to breed in with no luck until tonight. :D

BUT....they did not use any of it, they piles the eggs out in the open and sat on them to stop the other community fish eating them, it looked like they would lose the battle so i places a pot over the eggs with a gap for the bristle nose to get in and hopefully look after they eggs but why did they lay out in the open ??

bn1.jpg

bn2.jpg

In the 2nd pic the tubing is accesable from the other side and is oftern used by the bristlenose , maybe there is eggs in there too ?

bn3.jpg

Maybe hes claustrophobic :o

Is it his first spawning?

I had several things in my tank when i was trying to get some GBA breeding and they picked the last thing i would have thought.

I've had about a dozen spawnings and all of them in this ship, he loves it and so do the young as you can see.

ColinsFish011.jpg

Lol, cool :D. I have read of BN's spawning out in the open a few time's, but it's not that common. I think it is normally when there is not a sutible spawning site in the tank. Pleco's prefer to have tight fitting caves with only one entrace/exit for spawning in, and by the looks of it those pot's are just not tight enough (although, I would have thought that they would have spawned in there rather than in the open :o).

If you want something that your BN's should spawn in, try buying a coconut, drilling/cutting a hole into it about 1-1.5" in diameter, cut it in half through the middle of the hole, take all the coconut out of the middle, boil the remaining two halves, and put them in the tank. My BN's and GBA's loved spawning in them.

Cheers, CatBrat.