my new desktop nano for work

Brianemone

like i needed another thread.

so work is a bit of a drag and i get a bit bored i figure i should setup a little tank for work.

just had a quick look at the LFS and they have these neat little aquaone tanks, panorama range or something similar. and it just so happens that i have a 18 watt pc light that would look great on it. my stocking plans so far are mushrooms, zoo's and xenia as all of these enjoy abit of mucky water, no fish.

for filtration i think a HOB would be the easiest and probably the most effective (giveing the nessasary flow as well) i think i would need to mod it a little to be more suited to salt water. any ideas??

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i got the tank, hob filter and some sand last night

darn hob filter wont self prime, got a little sick of it really and now im thinking ill get the tank drilled and put in a little overflow into a cannister filter. What you all think

n.b will post some pics tonight

some body should invest in a dremel and then charge people to use it you could make a small fortune

I have a Dremal and its yet to earn me any money at all. Still I guess if you could find someone to pay you to use you $69.00 dollar power tool you make a small fortune.

Pie

what about a half zeovit and half rowaphos reactor? two separate chambers in the same 'device' that can hold both media. i might try that myself :D

what about making your self a little skimmer. or do you already have one?

it needs to be totally enclosed and very low maintenance, i was planning on purigen, rowaphos, and a nitrate reducer all in their little compartments after a mechanical filtration of some sort (filter floss :-? ).

so that the whole setup only uses three power points one for the pump that provides the circulation and runs the little filter, then the second for the light, and the third for the heater which i might be able to do without as the building's air con keeps the temp stable at about 23 or so, so with the added heat of the pump it might not need it (but i have one to use any way so either way)

i thought about a mini skimmer but in the end i dont want another plug running or another thing to worry about during the weekend. a little skimmer would get fiddly as well and make bubbles

It's another name for a fugee, full of algae

Not even close.

They do the same as a protein slimmer without taking all the good stuff out, they also put allot of things back in that the corals use.

A skimmer uses air and a turf scrubber uses fast algae growth in a small controlled space.

The algae is grown on a fibreglass mesh with a light over it in a small shallow that has constant flow over the it above the tank. They are very quite.

I'm going to redo my daughters tank and put a thread in here on it, It will have a turf scrbber, and maybe a sump to increase volume but nothing else

I just need to work out what shape to make the tank.

Aaron.