Emperor Tetra Bloat? or just fat?

Zimbaliza

Hi,

I noticed, one of my dominate male emperor tetras was acting a little strange.... seems to have a rather large belly, compared to others...

I did skip one weekly water change, (1 week), due to my water main breaking! ugh!, but I did do one in the weekend 

problem guy (Below), notice the size of him, did think at first, he may have eaten a new Zebra Danio (added 125-150 to the tank a week ago), he seems to be mid water.... to upper levels....  still kinda active... well didn't like his photo getting taken.... so I really don't like my chances of catching him.....

Thanks

-Chris

Fat Emperor? or bloat?

issue.JPG.4fd02b3538a316b7c231f45f3a66029d.JPGside.JPG.b89946f511f9e02a08c9164e5c7d2b66.JPG

What a normal emperor is alot thinner... (below) (Male)

Normal.JPG.80ff8e262307435512c29ea974914ec5.JPG

It can be hard to figure out the cause of a problem like that. He could have been in a fight and been rammed, which caused internal damage.

Maybe he was constipated. If he was bloated and the scales were sticking out, it was probably dropsy.

Internal bacterial infections or parasites can also cause swelling.

If it had been a female, she may have been egg bound. A fish with this problem is usually swollen more on one side than the other.

Sorry you lost him before being able to diagnose the problem. :$