Java fern, a Lily or 2 & some Bolbitis

Tiger Tony

Hello peps, 

I am setting up a 150 x 50 x 75 - 400 litre aquarium 2nd week of December.  Looking for a fast growing mini lily, something red, not interested in flowering just submersed foliage. Would consider Nyphaea rubra, N.micrantha, other Nyphaea to- also Nymphoides aquatica or perhaps Nuphar stella (not that sure on its foliage colour).

Also like Bolbitis heudelotii. Looking to set up heavy and avoid the green invasion...any recommendations are welcome as well.

Also I want some Java fern (microsorum pteropus), a lot of one species hopefully from one supplier either :

• Narrow
  • Philippine
  • standard form (NOT interested in windelov & its crosses)

Regards

Tony

Regarding the lily you might want to look at this list which is in the plants section of the menu  https://aquariumworld.nz/databases/1-plants/  It will tell you what is allowed in NZ.  With regards to the other plants camtang might have them at his shop in Nelson and will ship.  

Slow growing plants like java ferns and bolbitis are slow growing and prone to black beard algae in tanks with good lighting.  

Hey thanks for replying Adrienne,

I am as excited as a kid at Christmas time about this my first big aquarium. The trouble with living in the wops wops (Levin) is one pet shop that only sells coldwater species and a garden centre with a few BGA covered pond plants. Thanks to for the Lily info, reading more I will wait till the system matures (to avoid leaf drop)...I am going to do a photo diary of set up through to one month after, if I can? I will share it here.

Algae grazing fish I have read about 'Gara or Garra- Butterfly, striped etc its a great looking small fish, but cannot find it anywhere (problem with American publications) better fish I believe than Otocinclus and Ancistrus.

As for plants - I have ordered bunches, bulbs and pots off trademe, rear courtyard is filled with buckets & plastic totes filled with stem plants, they have 2 weeks to grow some roots.

Thanks again

You won't get gara here.  NZ has very strict MPI and a limited list of fish allowed in the country being nothing that might reproduce in our rivers or lakes.  The closest you are likely to get is the chinese algae eater - my advice is to avoid them like the plague as when they grow they do create issues.