Blue Ram wont colour, Angel fish shy.

TimA

http://imgur.com/gallery/c12Af

Hey guys,

I have had a 40L aquarium for about 6 months now and decided to upgrade to a 70-75L aquarium. Its a JAD brand, If someone can help identify the model and the filter make model it would be great as i got it cheap as chips second hand.

Currently my stock in the 75L is : 2X German Blue ram. 1X Electric blue balloon ram. 1x Bristle nose female pleco. 5X Neon Tetra. 3X Angle fish, Tiny Juveniles.
Please note i plan to move the angels to a larger 125L tank in the coming month or so. But before i invest in that id want to make sure they are healthy and will grow. As one has a defect where its missing a feeler and they are generally weird. Maybe they had a disease from the fish store?

There is the album i will be adding to. Please have a look through. The rams i believe are both female. Ill add some specific photos if people as as well.

Firstly i have some questions about the Rams i hope someone can assist me with. Now its their colour. I had the larger one since day 1 six months ago. She has always been dull and mostly clear. I got the second smaller ram from a friend who had little success with another tank. That ram was fully coloured up and in the previous tank which was over crowded a little mostly happy. As soon as she entered my tank 2 months ago she lost all colour as per my original ram. Now i have been keeping the tank clean and the light cycle is uniform same with the food. The previous tank where the smaller ram was had a black substrate. Now mine is white pebble and sand. I have always had the white substrate even in the original tank. My theory is that the substrate is light, so the Rams try to blend in and wont colour up? I have been told this theory was incorrect from two cichlid breeders locally who are very well respected in the trade.

Now sorry but i dont have a master test kit and unfortunately i can not afford to purchase one at this stage. Its on the to purchase list with many other things.

The new aquarium i setup with sand suggested from my local expert/friend. The PH is around 6.5-7.5 and not changing. The water colour is good.

Now onto the second part. I got my angels 4 days ago. The tank had been running for a wee while prior to it. Now my larger ram likes to chase the odd one every few minutes. just a little 1 second chase and then she moves on to another angel or ram to chase. The cycle repeats. The angels i hear take a while to get used to new tanks. They like to hang around the back right of the tank and the rams on the back left. Not frequently coming into the main open area or feeding off of plants. The black one just sits on the ground upright, Not sure if this is good? 

Anyway, look forward to peoples suggestions, i will try test my water this week. Just need to find a LPS who will do it for free :)

Cheers

http://imgur.com/gallery/c12Af

Hi, your tank looks good in the photos, nice setup. I'm not very knowledgeable about either rams or angels sorry -  maybe it will just take a while for them to settle down? Or maybe they need a bit more cover /hiding places? Is there a lot of activity or movement going on around the tank?

Hope you have found someone who can test your water. It's all a learning curve, just keep experimenting until you find what works.

Good luck