Other filters for Marine tank?

Silverdollarboy2

In this Article it says:

Canisters, hang on filters, trickle filters, and other highly aerated filtration types used in fresh water tanks, should NOT BE USED in marine tanks for biological filtration, although they can be used to hold carbon or similar. The reason is that nitrate reducing bacteria cannot function in a highly aerated environment, and use of these filters will result in a build up of nitrate to levels that are harmful to many reef dwelling creatures. In a marine tank use live rock to house the bacteria.

So live rock and a skimmer can suffice?

On 1/16/2017 at 10:39 PM, Silverdollarboy2 said:

In this Article it says:

Canisters, hang on filters, trickle filters, and other highly aerated filtration types used in fresh water tanks, should NOT BE USED in marine tanks for biological filtration, although they can be used to hold carbon or similar. The reason is that nitrate reducing bacteria cannot function in a highly aerated environment, and use of these filters will result in a build up of nitrate to levels that are harmful to many reef dwelling creatures. In a marine tank use live rock to house the bacteria.

So live rock and a skimmer can suffice?

There are probably some cases where you could use a canister just for mechanical filtration and clean it frequently.  But even for that a sump is probably going to be easier to clean the filters.  Next time I build a new tank I think I'm definitely going with a big sump.