Help! Cichlids are dying fast - googly eyes, no appetite, &a

TankMate

If it makes you feel less stupid, Tankmate, I took a bunch of fish to the upper hutt aquarium society auction today...Apparently I put too much water and not enough air in the bags because the 3 sharks and 3 rainbows were almost all floating upside down and gasping for air. We gave them a quick water change and put more air in the bags and they seemed better though. I'm still pretty worried about the sharks. They were in the first group of fish I ever had...I kinda miss them.:(

Poor Ira. I can relate to how you feel about the sharks. I hope they recover soon.

My fish, on the other hand, are surviving. No more deaths - pop eye one is getting better - slow, but at least he's hanging in there.

What does it mean when they're just floating with the current, and even spinning around and around, until it hits something or someone bumps it>

The pop-eye fish was doing yesterday - was going to euthanise him, but gave him another chance. He's swimming normally now, albeit slowly.

It's very possible that the gas buildup that is causing the pop eye

is also affecting the sensory organ that controls the balance of the fish.

As you say there is an improvement, and if this is so then I would delay culling unless it is obvious that there is no hope for the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Goldie: Cycled tank 25% then another 25% then another 20%.

All is well now. The Melafix fixed the PopEye so well, and I think we did it

just in time to save the two fishes. However: lost my clown loach and two rainbow sharks to a cannibal (rather, piscibal!). Seems like one large cichlid thought midnight snacking on growth-challenged fishies is the way to go.

They are all alive and kickin' (still), thanks to all your help and support.

To summarise TankMate's epic:

(1)New tank under-cycled

(2)Fish put in

(3)Cichlids started dying at rate of one a day.

(4)Probably due to ammonia-spiking

(5)Cichlids also developed pop-eye

(6)Water change 25%. This immediately slowed death rate

(7)Limit food and constantly removed excreta

(8)Treated with Melafix for PopEye, Prime

(9)Water change 25% again, all the while monitoring ammonia/nitrite

(10)More treatment - water was very kinda green due to medication

(11)Water change 20% again

(12)Constant monitoring and treatment

Thanks again, y'all, and hope other people learn from my sleep-depriving, pocket-hurting, stress-inducing experience, as I would not want to wish that on my worst enemies (Hmm, on second thought....).

Ciao for now!

Soooooo glad you got it sorted. :D

I too lost two clown loaches when I had to medicate the tank :x (hard, heart-breaking lesson). Now I use the good ol' add some salt to water (touch wood no more problems as fish are healthier than ever and seem to love the little salt).

I really got cross the person who helped me set up intially, because they were so STRICT about me not buying fish (apart from two guppies), until six weeks had passed. I wanted fish - neon tetras - in the tank, RIGHT AWAY. Later I found out about the nitrate/nitrite cycle and then I quite understood thus came to really appreciate their caring. I have much to thank them for. :wink: