NZ animals enclosure

CalebLS

So me and this friend had a massive idea that when we leave school we will make a huge glass Vivariuam, with a huger water section that house shrimps, Koura, Bullies, and other small native fish. Then it would have another huge land section with native plants, ferns, Golden bell frogs, skinks and maybe a gecko? We also wanted to see if this could be a self sustaining thing with only needing the work of water changes, and filter cleaning. IS this possible? Our tank would have to be huge probably over 6x2 metres.

I wouldn't put in golden bell frogs as theres a good change they will try to eat the lizards when they get bigger also they are not native to nz so don't fit in with the rest of the theme I also wouldn't use shrimp as they would be virtually impossible to breed in captivity meaning they would not renew themselves and therefore will not be self sustaining also keep in mind only crans and commen bullies would only be able to breed in a tank that Koura would be happy in as the other kinds of bullies can't breed in captivity or need faster flowing water then Koura would cope well in if your interested Once you get started I would be happy to supply you with some native aquatic and/or semi aquatic plants I'm not sure about making the water section self sustaining but if you established a heathly population of a number of land invertebrates before you add lizards the land part will probably be self sustaining as longs as there's plenty of plants for the insects to feed on and you don't add to many lizards also make sure to get a permit from doc before you take any native lizards 

Yeah we thought if we did do this we wouldn't put the frogs in, because he read somewhere that they can eat the lizards/lizards. We have realised that the water can not be self sustaining, but the land can if be if we had a good breeding population of crickets, slaters and other small insects Thanks for the offer on the plants but if we do this it won't be till we leave college so like 5 years!