looking to setup 120ltr hex tank

buzzy

hi everyone, im currently trying to plan setting up a 120ltr hex tank, i would like to have a coral setup even if it means no fish, i know and am aware that its not cheap to start off with and thats fine im willing to pay the money to do it.due to space restraints i cannot have a sump, so i need you expert advice on whats needed to get a good setup running well.i know that the tank is quite small but its the only thing i can fit in the lounge.ok here we go, what would be the best hang on skimmer to get? is it pointless getting a skimmer with out a sump?where is the best place to get MH lights from, if anyone knows any good web sites with this stuff please let me know, also how do you make a current in the tank?what sort of pump would be the best?and is there any good site that show or explin how to setup the tank eg. where the best place to have current flows etc.? well thats it for now sorry about all the questions, im doing alot of reading on the net and will continue to do so, no dout i will have a few more question. thanks for all your time.

Hi

Size and volume aside, can i advise you against a hexagonal tank? The multiple angles will make viewing your corals a pain due to refraction.

If you are limited to size then may i suggest having a cube shape made up which contains the same volume ? At that sort of size it wont cost alot. It will also make it easier to hang on the skimmer.

In terms of a tank that size, it may be worth considering the compact metal halides that Sevenoaks Tropical Marine produce. Here is the link

link

I hope that works.

They are in the UK - i dont know if anyone over here does anything similar. I have seen them on their coral tanks and they rock ! Ideal for a little tank too.

I put that link on regarding the compact halide unit but i gather it may cost a lot to ship over here - i am currently looking into that myself and if i get any sense out of the UK courier companies i have emailed i will post my findings.

Does anyone else know a cheap way of getting stuff from europe?

My personal stuff came over by ship and took 6 weeks. I reckon for big equipment we could all wait that long if it was non essential (ie a new project). If they can send 22 crates for $1000 how much can it cost to send one small light !! Will post the answer soon i hope.

I also agree about the style of tank, think about the lines.

The tank may look good on the outside but there just annoying to look into with the vertacal lines. You need to create the biggest area of uninterupted serface that you can.

And I agree with Brianemone regarding the sump, can you show us why you have no room.

I strongly recomend that you use the biggist sump you can on a tank that size, It is not a good idea to run a tank with a small total volume of water unless you have alot of experiance. the more water the better even if the sump is bigger than the tank. Can you put a sump somewhere else away from the tank.

Don't use anything but Small leathers buttons and mushrooms if you want a reef untill you have more experiance, keep it simple yet make it look as good as you can

What you are doing can be done but you need to make it run as well as possible.

Aaron

hi thanks foe the replys, i have decided to go for a 2x2x2 cube with 2ft sump in the stand,what do you all think?does anyone have any pics or know where to get overflows from?also where would be the best place to get holes drilled and what size do i get drilled? and last but no least will the return line create enough current in the tank or will i have to get some other sort of pump to make more currant?thanks for helping out a noobie.

Sounds a nice idea - i like cubes - stop - you are making me think of changing my plans !!! lol.

2x2x2 is pretty much 50gallons full up, although it will be less than that taking into account displacement for sand and rock, and the gap at the top. Then you can add back for the water that will be in the sump.

Have you had any thoughts on how you will lay out your rock in a cube? I would try to think of something that makes most use of the diagonal measurement within the tank. That way it will appear that there is more space than there is.

As far as the return goes - i will not offer any definite advice as i am still learning about aquatic plumbing myself. There are other guys on here who can advise you though. I would have thought that with a suitably rated return pump you could achieve some good flow - maybe think about Oceans Motions squirt or 4-ways if your budget extends to those (see www.oceansmotions.com). It kind of depends on what you are going to keep in the tank though.

Looking forward to seeing the finished result. Are you keeping a log of how your ideas progress? It will be interesting to look back on it.

buzzy

DELTECs ROCK (but Im biased - Ive seen them in action and i reckon they produce a fantastic level of fine bubbles and hence a really good skimmate).

Your LFS should be able to help out with supply. Or keep your eyes peeled for a second hand one (but be quick cos they are rare as hens teeth).

I have not heard good reports of Prizm. In fact when someone took over the LFS where i used to live and installed a prizm skimmer, all the regular guys were up in arms. Having said that they may work for someone depending on what you expect of them.

A skimmer is an essential part of your setup and as such you should try to get the best one you can afford. It gives you scope for the future that way.

is a deltec ap600 a goos size for a 2x2x2 cube or not big enough?what would be the best return pump to get for it, wet pets said they dont know anyone who does deltec, so i might try hollywoods to see what the price is like.

That one should be FINE for your tank - here are the specs of the AP600

For Aquariums up to:

Heavy Stocking 500 Ltrs (111gals)

Normal Stocking 750 Ltrs (167 gals)

(16mm/20mm flexible connection)

Water Throughput:

600 Ltr./ h (133 gall/h)

Dimensions:

L: 280mm W: 210mm H: 600mm

The installation kit is extra and includes:

Installation Kit for AP 600

Hard pipe connection: Pressure - 20mm Return - 32mm Includes submersible pump, Shut-off valve, PVC Pipes/fittings, degassing sponge and flexible hose. Usually an aquabee. This can be done semi DIY though.

Talk to Reef who is a member on here as Layton said above. He will be able to point you in the right direction.

Buzzy, are you aware of there price.

I agree that Deltec's are the best you can buy but thats alot of money for a beginner and a tank that size do you really think he needs one of those.

However if you have the money do it you wont regrett it.

Aaron.

I agree that Deltec's are the best you can buy but thats alot of money for a beginner and a tank that size do you really think he needs one of those.

If he can afford one yes. It saves wasting money on a lower quality skimmer now, then upgrading later.

Layton

The other thing to bear in mind is that for the money, a Deltec isnt THAT much more than other DECENT skimmers on the market. Sure its a lot more than the crap ones, but at the end of the day if the budget is there - its worth the extra - its like a couple of hundred bucks more on an overall budget ten times that at least.

I would rather get a slightly lower rated Deltec to save the money and know its gonna do a good job than try to find an equally rated other brand.

Buzzy - exactly - get the best skimmer you can and then it is future-proof (or as much as possible). Deltecs hold their value more too if you should choose to sell (hopefully not).

LFS will get the tank connectors / bulkheads - but they will cost more than if you go to your friendly plumbing supply store (or better still get a mate who is a plumber to do this). Mico do it all i have been told.

LFS will get the tank connectors / bulkheads - but they will cost more than if you go to your friendly plumbing supply store (or better still get a mate who is a plumber to do this). Mico do it all i have been told.

1" lifeguard fittings $29.95 in shop and are nice and compact with elbow and strainer.

Plumbing stores have larger mor bulky ones, you also need to buy all bits sepeatly. hansen and iplex etc

My option is lifeguard fittings heaps nicer and eaiser to use. also cheaper than going to a plumbing store