Lighting/heat lamp question - turtles

Hiya all.

When I got my turtle babies, of course I got the whole shebang in terms of set up for them. This included a full spectrum flouro light in reflector hood, AND a heat lamp. I was cleaning out the back of the cupboard this morning and found the box the heat lamp came in, and it is a Reptile One that produces full spectrum UVA and UVB. 

So my question is... do I need to be running both lamps? If they BOTH produce full spectrum UV, then isn't it a bit redundant running both? And how long should the heat lamp be on? I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer on that from anyone locally. I've been told everything from "it should be on 24/7" to "I don't bother with a heat lamp, they don't need one" (Yikes! My turtles LOOOOVE their heat lamp. Even if they didn't "need" it, which I'm pretty sure they do - correct me if I'm wrong - it certainly makes them very happy!)

20160715_134215.jpg

Edited by zombieworm

I am aware that it is the heat that draws them to the basking spot - they are reptiles, cold blooded. And the lights are fine, I keep them up to date. My question was, if I am running the basking light do I really need to have the flouro going as well, since both are producing the required UVA and UVB? And how long do they need for basking - i.e. how long should I run the basking light?

They need the basking area to be warmer than the water to encourage them to come out of the water and bask in the heat. This is the best place to put the UV so that get that at the same time. I used a ceramic for heat (on a thermostat and on 4/7) and an energy saver uv or a tube ( on for 12 hours) If the wee fan is one of those ux/fans I would think they are all but useless as a source of uv.  

OK, I am going to try one more time rephrasing this, to see if I can get people to actually understand what I am asking.

I have TWO - read that again - TWO sources of FULL SPECTRUM UV.

The first is a Flouro. A proper full spectrum UV producing light, which goes almost the full width of the tank, so they get their UVA and UVB no matter where they are in the tank. But (obviously) it is not a source of heat.

The second is a Reptile One brand heat lamp. Top of the line, full spectrum, UVA and UVB producing heat lamp. They get their UV only when under the lamp, and (obviously) it is their source of heat for basking.

Ok, so hopefully we have established that much. I am NOT asking what other people use, I am NOT asking what people think I should use, I am explaining what I have - TWO sources of full spectrum UV. What I AM asking is: do I really need to have TWO sources of UV? Do I really need to have BOTH going at the same time? 

The flouro is big and ensures that they get their UV no matter whether they are basking on their platform or not, They spend a lot of time "basking" at the surface, asleep on the rocks or driftwood that are just under the water level. They are getting their UV, but, (obviously), are not getting their shells dry. The heat lamp is small (in comparison to the flouro) and only provides their UV when they are under it, but give them heat, and dries the shell.

Ok, the next part of the question is: how long do turtles NEED for basking? How long does the heat lamp NEED to be running? I have been told everything from 24 hrs a day, to not at all. I am wanting to know if anyone KNOWS (not just guessing) how long, on average, turtles NEED to bask for their shell health, assuming they are getting their UVA and UVB whether they are basking fully out of the water or not.

OK, now lets put the two parts together. 

In nature (or outside ponds), turtles bask not only to dry their shells, but to warm up, because the water they are in is often cold. Mine live in a tank, and their water is never below 22C, so they only need to bask for shell health, not warmth. Note I said NEED, not WANT. Obviously they also WANT that extra warmth, because it feels good. Who doesn't like a bit of sunbathing... and the opportunity to sit on your buddy, stacked up like something in a Dr Seuss book. At this point, I am trying to establish their NEEDS. I can take into account their WANTS, after I know what their basic needs are.

So, how long do they NEED the heat lamp for? If is only for a few hours, or not at all because they can get dry just sitting on their dry platform (I would give them a couple of hours anyway, just because it makes them happy), then obviously, I run the flouro as well, for the 12 hrs they need for the UV. But if they NEED the heat lamp for a much longer time, then can I just run the heat lamp, and not the flouro? Will they get all their UV needs with just the (UV producing) heat lamp? And how long should it be on?

Thank you :D

I have been running the flouro for 12 hrs, because I know they need the UV for that time, but I have only been running the heat lamp for 4 hrs a day, because I didn't know how long they needed that for. If they need the heat lamp for 12 hrs, and they will get enough UV from that even though they don't bask continuously for the 12 hrs, then I can just run the heat lamp, not the flouro as well.

They get plenty of natural light, including direct sun in the afternoon, which they love. They hang out in that corner of the tank when the sun hits. (Yes, I do know that because the sun is passing thru glass - the window and the tank - that no UV gets thru from it).