Flourish Excel and Flourish Plant fertilizer

Rodica

Hi there,

I do not have a planted tank but have a few plants that are of adequate size ie. Java Fern, Anubias, 2 swords and ambuila (not sure how to spell this sorry).  I have noticed that my java Fern was getting darker and did not grow much some leaves looked frizzled and burnt and when I touched them they easily fell apart.  I have been adding Flourish Excel for a couple of years as I had a really bad problem with Black algae that looked like hair.  That was solved with using the Excel Flourish, but for around a year I have been a bit slack with adding it and started to dose every second day.  For the past few months I have skipped some days.  I recently found out that it is recommended that the Flourish Plant fertilizer is also used together with the Flourish Excel.   So my questions are:  Do I need to put some fertilizer tabs in the substrate under my Swords to get them better? or should I just use the Flourish Excel and Flourish Fertilizer solution together instead.  If I do use both what is the dosage of the Fertilizer while also using the Excel? Or do I cut back on the Excel or still maintain the same daily and weekly doses.  I do 60% water change weekly and then add 50 mls of the Excel and the daily dose is 10mls.  I wonder if I should setup Co2 as well, and was looking at a Nutrifin natural Co2 system but I am not sure. By the way both of the tanks I am referring to in this post are a 450 and 420 litre tanks.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adding some root fert balls to the words is a good idea. Swords love them! From there i would follow the instructions on the bottles for both flourish and excel and all should be well.

Setting up a co2 system would not be a bad idea,  once most people use co2 they do not go back as it is a great addition to a planted tank

Hi again, thank you for getting back to me,  could you suggest which root balls to get? Also, is it safe to use the root balls and the two flourish products at the same time? Wondering if it is safe for the fish?  I just found the below product on TM would that work? THanks375795694.jpg

Mate, you can use just about anything. That Proflora stuff must be the most expensive fert on the planet!

I use some fert that is made for trees, comes in a compressed tablet. Got it from Bummings, cheap as, works like a charm.

Would this one work? Looks like a good option and cheap as well. Asking cause I'm looking for fertiliser tabs myself :)

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/daltons-premium-planter-tabs-250g_p00305851

Would this one work? Looks like a good option and cheap as well. Asking cause I'm looking for fertiliser tabs myself :)

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/daltons-premium-planter-tabs-250g_p00305851

That is almost identical to the tablets I have been using. I have had only good results, no problems of any kind. I broke them up with a couple of pairs of pliers, because i thort they were a bit big, and just placed them under the sand around the plants. Mad growth, worked a treat. I bought some kugluen ball things, broke one open, and seemed it was just a few granules of osmocote , encased in some clay. Great idea, but only for the well heeled aquarist! As with all fertilisers, err on the side of less is more eh...