Hello from Hamilton

arktiv

Hello all, 

I've been lurking for a while so I thought I'd say hello! I've been keeping fish for a couple of years. I'm particularly keen on live-bearers. I have 4 aquariums and two ponds. I keep Platies, Black Mollies, Guppies, a Paradise fish, White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a couple of Goldies.

Here is my tanks, softly worded criticism is welcomed

IMG_20160328_152529847_HDR.thumb.jpg.5bf

My male guppies, plants are java fern, anubis, dwarf hairgrass sagittaria (thanks for the correction), and a couple of crypts with lucky bamboo in the back. Planning to add a black background at some stage.

This tank has a single 6W LED bulb, which keeps the plants alive but doesn't do much for growth. Also have had trouble keeping the tank warm during winter, regret making it open top.

IMG_20160328_153138206_HDR.thumb.jpg.460

My male platies and mollies with a paradise fish 

IMG_20160328_153240304.thumb.jpg.f543754

My guppie babies with their Mums. Another open top tank, this tank was made from 'spares'. I really should get some covers before winter hits!

IMG_20160328_153335736.thumb.jpg.e44a499

My platy and molly girls, was trying to go for a fluro theme

Edited by arktiv

Hello all, 

I've been lurking for a while so I thought I'd say hello! I've been keeping fish for a couple of years. I'm particularly keen on live-bearers. I have 4 aquariums and two ponds. I keep Platies, Black Mollies, Guppies, a Paradise fish, White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a couple of Goldies.

Here is my tanks, softly worded criticism is welcomed

IMG_20160328_152529847_HDR.thumb.jpg.5bf

My male guppies, plants are java fern, anubis, dwarf hairgrass, and a couple of crypts with lucky bamboo in the back. 

Welcome! 

My only softly worded criticism is that you have dwarf hairgrass and I do not :P:P very jealous, I've been meaning to get some. Lovely tanks you have there :) 

hehehehehe JJ

Welcome! 
My only softly worded criticism is that you have dwarf hairgrass and I do not :P:P very jealous, I've been meaning to get some. Lovely tanks you have there :) 

Thats dwarf sag my friend... hahahaha - dwarf hair grass is very thin  - Love to you!

Welcome! I am embarrassed I did not notice the mis-named plant. I have dwarf sag too. It died off at one point and I thought it had gone but then months later it has started reappearing again. I knew crypts did that but not sagittaria.

You asked for softly worded criticism so to reply to your comment "...was trying to go for a fluro theme" - then please don't :smiley_wink_ani:

Those fluro plants are very unnatural looking, especially in a freshwater tank and take away, or clash with, the colours of the fish. Of course, that is just a matter of opinion and if you like it, then that's fine as it is your tank to plant as you see fit B|

I might be wrong but I think I remember reading that lucky bamboo does not last underwater and it will rot. Someone may be able to confirm or refute that though as I have never used it myself.

You have a lovely bunch of platys and mollies :D

Lucky bamboo in my experience is fine being partially underwater so long as a decent amount of it is above (like...at least the leaves and a few cms of stem, they do prefer just having roots wet ideally though) :) I have read about the roots being poisonous when injested though, so would advise caution on that front :/ 

Haha, the fluro theme wasn't my idea! I was trying to get my partner into the hobby and let her theme that one :) 

I haven't had any issue with the lucky bamboo in the aquarium, but I do keep the leaves out of the water. I had some in a plant pot too but the ones in the aquarium have actually outlasted them!

hehehehehe JJ

Thats dwarf sag my friend... hahahaha - dwarf hair grass is very thin  - Love to you!

Thanks for letting me know, I won't make that mistake again!, I'd forgotten the name but remembered it had dwarf in it so just googled 'dwarf plant aquarium'