Drilled sump tank hole too high!!!

Poppie

Hi guys

I have just set up a 450L tank with a 130L sump tank. I have not used an overflow box or anything fancy, just drilled a hole in the tank and plumbed that down into the sump and back up again.

My partner drilled the hole for the water to drain into the sump at the top of my fish tank, but he has drilled it too high so the water level in my tank is right at the lip of the tank.

Does anyone know of a way I can reduce the height of the water in my tank by about 5cm so I can put my lid and lights on?

Thanks in advance - I cannot find anything that helps on google!

Poppie

Put another hole lower down on the other side of the tank.  That way you have the lower drain as the primary and then the current higher one as a backup in case the lower one gets clogged so you don't overflow the tank pumping water up from the sump.

That would have been a good idea, if the tank had not cracked last night. I will have to get the back pane replaced.

We tried to widen the hole and all was fine overnight and all of yesterday, but last night I noticed some of the paint flaking off the back and realised it was cracked. Only a cup or so of water had spilled out but it is so frustrating!

Thanks guys for your input.

That would have been a good idea, if the tank had not cracked last night. I will have to get the back pane replaced.

We tried to widen the hole and all was fine overnight and all of yesterday, but last night I noticed some of the paint flaking off the back and realised it was cracked. Only a cup or so of water had spilled out but it is so frustrating!

Thanks guys for your input.

I'd be worried that you're using too thin of glass or your drilling is weakening the glass too much if it's cracked.  What are the pane's dimensions and thickness?

Turns out it wasn't cracked after all! It was just leaking through the sealant around the fitting for the sump - Phew! 

The back pane is 1800 long x 550 high and it is 10mm thick glass. Although it is a reasonably old tank hopefully it'll hold up.

With a bit of fiddling and a different fitting we managed to get the water down to manageable level.