Purchasing marine fish

Kerry

Hi everyone, 

I am looking into starting up a marine tank. I spoke to some experts at Hollywood fish farm and they informed me that all their fish are reef/wild caught. Are there stockists in Auckland where I can purchase captive bred fish? 

Im looking to start with no corals and some trigger fish. 

Thank you,

Kerry

Sorry no stockists that really deal in captive bred fish exclusively and only a few trigger species are  only just being bred overseas. There are a couple of people that breed clownfish and Bangai Cardinals in NZ that advertise when they have some available.

• 4 months later...

Unlike freshwater aquariums which contain a high percentage of captive-bred and raised animals, nearly all the fish kept in saltwater aquariums are captured from coral reefs, with fewer than 5% bred in captivity. A lot of fish simply won't breed in captivity, which means the reality is either wild caught, or a different hobby. Sorry.

I am starting my first marine tank too, but have opted for a reef tank - mostly corals. As far as I am aware most of the corals and anemones available in NZ are tank bred (remember corals are animals not plants). I do want some clownfish, and maybe some Bangai cardinals, and will try to get captive bred if possible, but the mandarin fish I am interested in is only wild caught.

Good luck with your new tank