snails

fishgirl53

Malaysian Trumpet Snails are normally used to stop anaerobic air pockets forming in sand as they burrow in during the day.  Never had them but have heard they can get to plague proportions if they are not kept under control. The other types of snails available don't burrow.

If you are worried about the sand becoming anaerobic then one way is to keep the depth shallow (about an inch in the deepest part) as this should still allow oxygen in and avoid gas pockets forming.  Shuffling it about with your hand after you vacuum any waste also helps. 

Malaysian Trumpet Snails are normally used to stop anaerobic air pockets forming in sand as they burrow in during the day.

In all honesty, they just don't dig deep enough to prevent anaerobic pockets - they don't really dig below the first inch or so. 

I'll post my handy-dandy link on Deep Sand Beds once I'm back on my laptop, but Anaerobic bacteria aren't necessarily something to be afraid of unless you are concerned about fish digging suddenly or will have to dig them without removing fish (although my L140 pleco has suddenly decided to dig all the way to Dalton's and I've had no issues yet with the gas pockets affecting fish health after being released - I'm honestly not sure whether they spend enough time in the water column after being released to actually worry about).