New 394 Litre tank!

Aqua

Hey guys, great news!

I've just been sold a 48"x24"x24" tank by one of my good mates, complete with Fluval 300 series filter, lights & stand!

It was a turtle tank, but I'm going to be using it for freshwater. I'm thinking I'll leave the turtle ramp in, and possibly get some plants up on that level, and put some low-light plants underneath it.

I'm planning on having it heavily planted, or not planted at all. What do you guys suggest I do with such a nice-sized tank? :lol: :lol: :lol:

*edit* One too many :lol:'s!

It depends on what sort of look you want to go for, I have suggested bfore hand that you could turn the spot under the ramp into a cave, and you may find you get fish spawnign in there, you can build rocks up round it or stick driftwood in front of it to create the cave look.

B

Hey that would be groovy!! I like that idea!!! Maybe a pile of rocks & driftwood with some holes to move into the dark area, and plenty of low-light plants would make the whole thing look really great :D

:bow: wonderful!

Hmmm, 4 ft by 2 ft by 2ft is 16 cubic feet which is 119.6 gallons=452 liters. That's of course ignoring the glass thickness.

My tank, which is approx the same size I measured by the inside of the glass came out to about 440 liters.

OK, so.

With a tank this size, and aiming to have it heavily planted, what do you guys think would be suitable fish?

I'm thinking a swarm of glowlights (I really quite like them now!), some ancistrus (so they don't rip up plants like a pleco), khuliis & corys.

Any other suggestions? (See my other question in the technical forum too!)

:hail:

I won't offer specific species, but if I were stocking a big new tank right now I would go for smaller, colourful species and in abundance. When I say abundance, I don't mean lots of different species, I mean lots of a few species. For example, your idea of a school of glowlights is a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the tank!!

*excited wiggling*

DSCF1043.jpg

48" long, 24" deep & 24" high

DSCF1047.jpg

turtle ramp & ledge from outside

DSCF1048.jpg

turtle ramp & ledge from inside

DSCF1050.jpg

lounge view

Just a thought

The stand looks a tad light to me.

Are the steel legs connected to each othe with steel members or are they fixed to the timber top?

I imagine it would have being fine for a half filled turtle tank, but if you fill it up your going to double the weight, it would pay to check.

Cheers

Andrew

I'm just about as excited as you! Isn't it FUN!!!! I had the same concern about the stand too it looked like a light coffeetable so was glad to be reassured about that (what a tragedy to lose a beautiful tank like that...not to mention the poor fish.) Have fun getting it set up and ready for occupants :D