Kokopu becoming egg bound info?

Gbangr

Hey im in the process of planning a kokopu set up and i just read some info saying that if the females dont spawn they become egg bound and die and this is a problem indoors because they wont spawn? Was about giant kokopu is this so with all the species as i dont want to take them if they wont live?

If you can get a GK from the Mahurangi Technical Institute breeding program then it will most likely be male (heard they keep the females for breeding & wild releases) and it will save the problems of both egg binding (which I hadn't heard off) and removing one from the wild.  You will need a larger tank then you would expect though, mines still a juvenile but still uses the whole 500ltr.

Short Jaws I wouldn't touch as they are just too endangered, Banded's are not listed as threatened and should be ethically OK for the home aquarium so long as they are taken from an area that they are common in since they can be regionally endangered.

Ok sweet yea im in nelson and have got a 1000litre chiller and was going to build a 600litre approx indoor pond in my garage with polythene. Is there an easy way to tell the sex of the fish with galaxids? Iv had fungus problems with a couple of banded kokopu i had a couple of years back but i didnt have a chiller then. 

Ok sweet yea im in nelson and have got a 1000litre chiller and was going to build a 600litre approx indoor pond in my garage with polythene. Is there an easy way to tell the sex of the fish with galaxids? Iv had fungus problems with a couple of banded kokopu i had a couple of years back but i didnt have a chiller then. 

When larger fish (especially bandeds) are taken from the wild there is a high risk of fungul infection and other problems. Smaller fish or captive bred are always better for both environmental impact and adjustment to aquaria.

I'm not aware of any easy methods for discerning gender, generally many of the larger fish are males as many females can become weakened by spawning and many may die from opportunistic diseases and infections. 

Re: the egg binding, sometimes they will just reabsorb the eggs if they can't spawn, otherwise you would have to sedate them and express the eggs yourself to prevent death of the fish. I have seen a banded who has been expressed in the past reabsorb her eggs and not get to the stage at which expression is necessary. If you look into Mahurangi Technical Institute, David Cooper can give you advice about egg binding.