tank - rain water - any good?

Duke

I have tested both my marine tank and the water supply (tank water)

calcium 340 - my tank is 480. have added calcium

PH 8.3 tank is 8.3

Alk 9 tank 11

all the rest 0 and tank 0

I was surprised as I thought rain water was not veary good, might have something too do with the leaves and bird shit.

should I use filtered water ?

I have brown shit on the sand... 6month tank. The other half of the sand keeps moving with the new stream turned on low 6100 with controller.

Must say my finger leather loves the new flow.

Rain water is a not very safe when not filtered. It has bactaria in it which could be a problem. if you are on tank water get a DI unit. i have a microlene filter and 3 di's in a row, The microlene fliter will not remove phostphates.

The biggest problem with rain water is possible contamanents from your collection area. I you keep that in good order then you want have a problem.

If your worried about harmfull bacteria put it through a UV.

I'm glad I live in Christchurh.

We can take ours straight from the tap.

Corals and Zoos feed on it and require it.

I dont like to strip the water completely. If it shows on a colorometer thats good!

Its nice to know that there is someone else here that doesn't believe in keeping sterille tanks

Aaron

Its nice to know that there is someone else here that doesn't believe in keeping sterille tanks [quote]

I doubt the tanks are sterile, It is just a fact that if you want to keep acropora colours you have to have low nutrient tank.[/quote]

I have been using rain water for top up for almost a year now with no problems. I clean out the barral every couple of months to keep the bacteria down. When I first started using rain water (for my discus a few years ago) I emailed NIWA and asked them what the rain water in Wlg was like and they said it was pretty good.

I also use phos-sorb in my tank but would run this anyway.

No, you will find you will have lots of carbonates in the tank water which saves you from adding it later!

All good!

A newer tank apparently leaches more carbonates/calcium etc whilst it is new. (Presuming it is concrete).

Nothing wrong with tank water.

I use tank water collected off the roof, it had no PO4 reading but we had to buy in water twice this year thats with two 5 thousand gallon tanks :(

(always fine in Port Waikato :D )

Anyway the second lot of water we brought was off a different bloke and it was shit!!!! FULL of Phosphates and Nitrates he said he got it from his bore in Pukekohe must have run off from the Pukekohe Farms other wise he got it out of the Waikato River that stuff that they pipe up to you guys :D

Ended up costing me a DI unit bought at Anthony Prestons $226.09, worth it for peace of mind. There was that much crap in the water I've had to change the resin.

I bought the colour change resin that lets you know when to change it with the clear filter you can see when it goes brown.

I just stick on the hose out side and slowly run it through the filter into 10ltr water containers to keep by the sump for use as needed.