Sunset Wag Platies

KiwiGal77

Just wondering if anyone has seen these in Auckland? I am yet to spot any for sale, but did see one in a HFF display tank over the weekend so there must be some around at times.

Otherwise I'm thinking of attempting to breed for the colour trait since it's obviously quite rare (and I think gorgeous!), just trying to find some useful colour genetics info on platies. Guessing the basics would be sunset x red wag, and would take refining to lighten the colour up over generations I suspect. Wonder if you would be best to go with sunset females and 1 red wag male or red wag females and one sunset male... Does anybody know which colour trait is dominant & recessive?

Thanks!

hifinsunsetwagplaty_zps4010171e.jpg

Good evening.

High-Fin:

Dominant. Means even heterozygous fish will show the trait. General understanding is that it is not possible to breed a homozygous high-fin platy due to being a lethal factor. Only three people claimed so far to have developed a pure (homozygous) strain - but on the other hand it is no problem at all with swordtails. Since all modern platy strains are hybrids between maculatus, variatus and helleri, the question is, how much helleri blood do you need in a Platy strain to make it work?

Wagtail:

Dominant. Means even heterozygous fish will show the trait.

Best thing would be Marygold High-fin x Coral Red Wagtail with the Coral Platy being heterozygous yellow/red. That way all fish in F1 will all have wagtail, high-fin and 25% of the fish should be very close to your picture. The rest will be just yellow - depending of the genetics of your Marygold fish.

Cheers,

JaSa

That's great info, thanks!!

I think a red wag male and 3 sunset females might be the way to go. If the red wag is hetero then 50% will have black points, if I'm lucky enough to get a homozygous then all offspring will be wag tail. With 3 sunset females hopefully a fair share of the offspring will show the fading yellow-red colour rather than single coloured.

Sounds like I might have a plan... :D

I ended up with a male sunset and 3 female red wags.

When I went to look there were two female red wags who looked more orange, already leaning towards the colour I wanted, and there was a male who has the most amazing gradient from bright yellow to blood red. So figured I may as well use them :)

Now I guess we wait a few weeks and see what happens. Hopefully the boy likes his red & black girls!

Here's the boy:

11267315_10153381458216354_941071400_n.jpg?oh=484ca194a5c9a6bb123a70edc60c8151&oe=5579A5FD&__gda__=1434036540_cb80bb683366a4a6f9b6084050efc46e