Fish Recommendation

KiwiGal77

I'm trying to decide what else to put into my 150L community tank, but not too sure what would look good.

Current inhabitants are:

10 Harlequin Rasbora

6 False Julii Cory

2 Otocinclus

2 GBR's

I think I'm probably after something colourful I can get about 3 of, and then one more centerpiece fish. The tank is looking quite bottom-heav at the moment, even the harlequins rarely reach the top 1/3 of the tank, so mid to top dwelling fish would be ideal.

Any suggestions??

Yea I did think about Zebra danios, but think I want to stick with just the single schooling species.

Considering either a gourami of some sort (dwarf or pearl) or possibly an angelfish. Not sure if my tank is high enough for an angel though at 40cm water, and will they eat the harlequins and otos??

More Otocinclus :bggrn: these guys like groups, personally I recommend a minimum of 5.

Pearls will get too large for your tank, but there are several other Gourami species available which would do well - Dwarf Gourami (Trichogaster lalius), Banded Gourami (Trichogaster fasciata), Thicklipped Gourami (Trichogaster labiosa) and Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna). The only one I'd be wary about is the Honey Gourami as they are a bit shy and while your current inhabitants are suitable, just be careful in case you add boisterous fish such as Danio species.

Dwarf Cichlids such as Blue rams, Bolivian rams and Apistogramma would be suitable feature fish too :)

Edit: I would personally recommend 300L minimum for angels.

More Otos are on the list :) at the moment u two are happy and aren't particularly social with each other anyway or shy. But I would prefer they were in a small group.

Was thinking pearl gourami and angel might be a bit big, even though both seem to have recommended minimum tank size as 30-40 gallon.

Will check out the dwarf gourami again. I've read a lot on forums about them carrying disease and being really hard to keep alive - have people found that to be the case in NZ or is it more of an overseas issue?

Bought a couple of GBRs a week and a half ago and love them. It was supposed to be male/female pair, but turns out to be two males. So far their fights aren't common and don't appear too aggressive, but keeping a close eye on things. They seem to have established their territories and generally stick to them without issue.

I have found a lot of dwarf gourami here end up looking sickly in stores. Although I was at HFF Mt Roskill today and their lot looked really healthy - I think the idea is to typically just choose the healthiest looking fish and hope for the best. Typically the virus that they are known to get is mostly species-specific (I've found Anabantoids can develop a lot of diseases, especially viruses, that don't affect other fish). I'd lean towards Quarantining them if you can (although I recommend QTing all new fish regardless).