500 litre tropical tank, pictures, advice please.

Bristle

Based on this pic:

cpwTEj0.jpg

My first advise would be to drain the tank and put it on a proper stand that supports the entire base. You're asking for it to get cracked and flood your house.

The stand is temporary and will be more safe and secure probably by this weekend.

After the stand is fixed/replaced you will need to buy a decent canister filter, an internal like you have won't support enough beneficial bacteria to support the fish you already have, let alone more.

Then you need to decide what type of fish you want to keep, the fish you already have aren't really compatible, the electric yellows and lionheads are african cichlids and need different water parameters than the rest of your fish.

If it helps 'coolie' loach is kuhli loach. Having the the real name will help you find out more about them.

If the tank has only just been set up, it will take a while for the fish to settle in and get comfortable in the new location. Once they do, I'm sure you'll see them up and around the entire tank. Upping the number of fish in the schools will help them gain confidence as well. I've heard glassfish in particular can be very scattery and scaredy without decent backup.

As has been mentioned, the stocking is rather odd. The best thing to do over the next little while is researching all the fish in there, and settle on what type of tank you want to set up ie African cichlids (with the yellows and lionheads as your base), or tropical community, etc etc.

500L is a great size tank! And your scape for the tank looks really good. If you went with tropical community, you could swap the plastic plants out for real ones.

Just to check, I'd put your thermometer at the opposite end of the tank for a while, to see if the temp is different down there. If it is, I'd recommend putting the heater more horizontal in the middle of the tank (you could hide it with the driftwood and run the cord under the substrate to the side of the tank).

Do you know how big the filter is?

If it helps 'coolie' loach is kuhli loach. Having the the real name will help you find out more about them.

If the tank has only just been set up, it will take a while for the fish to settle in and get comfortable in the new location. Once they do, I'm sure you'll see them up and around the entire tank. Upping the number of fish in the schools will help them gain confidence as well. I've heard glassfish in particular can be very scattery and scaredy without decent backup.

As has been mentioned, the stocking is rather odd. The best thing to do over the next little while is researching all the fish in there, and settle on what type of tank you want to set up ie African cichlids (with the yellows and lionheads as your base), or tropical community, etc etc.

500L is a great size tank! And your scape for the tank looks really good. If you went with tropical community, you could swap the plastic plants out for real ones.

Just to check, I'd put your thermometer at the opposite end of the tank for a while, to see if the temp is different down there. If it is, I'd recommend putting the heater more horizontal in the middle of the tank (you could hide it with the driftwood and run the cord under the substrate to the side of the tank).

Do you know how big the filter is?

2 filters in there a the visible one is a hailea hl-bt 1000 and the other is a elite stingray 15 will move the heater tonight thanks for the advice

I have decided the sell all the cichlids the clown loach and turns out it's a zebra loach which i will also sell. Then this weekend i will buy 4 more glasscats and discuss with my dad(whos funding the project) what other fish to stock in it. Any suggestions. Thanks

You could get more similar shaped tetras like black widow lemon or roseys they shound all school together

Thanks for the suggestion my Dad quite likes the look of ruby barbs and green tiger barbs would barbs school with tetras or should I get more tetras and some barbs as a seprate shoal?

Bristle, I think it is a wise thing you are doing - selling off the cichlids.

Are you certain you have a 500 litre tank, that is a very big tank but I know photos can be deceiving? If it is 500 litres it could easily hold six clown loaches. Also the filters are way too small for a tank that size :)

Bristle, I think it is a wise thing you are doing - selling off the cichlids.

Are you certain you have a 500 litre tank, that is a very big tank but I know photos can be deceiving? If it is 500 litres it could easily hold six clown loaches. Also the filters are way too small for a tank that size :)

Will talk to my parents about filters, clown loach are quite expensize but i'll again discuss with my dad. here is the dimensions for the tank.

130cm across front

55cm from front to back

70cm tall.

Picture doesnt do the tank justice. :sml2:

Hope you have long arms :) With that sort of height you have a wealth of options open to you i.e. angels but the length will restrict some of the ground dwellers. Go slowly until you decide what you really would like in it.

I have quite short arms I use a step ladder to get up high enough to reach the bottom. I've looked at angels but my dad says he doesn't like the longish fins, he wants discus but i've heard they are very hard to keep. He also wants gourami which I like quite a bit. Got to go slow with buying fish, they are expensive sometimes :sml2:

Discus are hard work imo (I have them). They are easier to keep in low tech tanks with bare bottoms as they really do like pristine water conditions. They also do best with big 90% water changes at least twice a week and good clean, pure water.

Gourami - I love the pearl gourami and would really like to see some full grown ones. The dwarf gourami are harder to keep as they often have stomach complaints :)

Discus are hard work imo (I have them). They are easier to keep in low tech tanks with bare bottoms as they really do like pristine water conditions. They also do best with big 90% water changes at least twice a week and good clean, pure water.

Gourami - I love the pearl gourami and would really like to see some full grown ones. The dwarf gourami are harder to keep as they often have stomach complaints :)

90% water changes twice a week. :o. Think gourami is the way to go I love the pearl gourami.