Starting Over

amyvictoria

Hi :wave:

Haven't been on here in a while and have just had a few blue mystery snails in my tank for the past few months but thinking I would like a few fish again :f77:

I currently have a Blue Planet Classic 20 and it is running on the filter it came with unmodified and has been cycling for months with the snails and previously a few platys. I was thinking of maybe something like a small schooling fish as I'd like to see a bit of movement, I'd also prefer a bit of colour but know my options are pretty limited with a small tank.

I am planning to have it planted so will be setting that up first while I am trying to decide on what to put in.

Any suggestions welcome, oh I'm in Dunedin if that makes any difference haha.

Thanks,

Amy

I wasn't sure if you were wanting two types or just one. Quite often a single species in a bigger group looks way more impressive than two species in small numbers.

I would start with 6 of one type and then wait a couple of weeks before adding any more to the group. If those 6 don't swim together you would need to add more if you want them to school. That may then limit you to one species anyway. I had about 12 ember tetra in one of my tanks and as a single species they looked great.

Yes, I think you could get away with 6 of each type, 8 of each would be absolute maximum for that tank size and you would need to do regular water changes and be careful not to overfeed.

AqAdvisor has indicated a school of Scalet Badis (no more than 7) and an otocinclus vestitus would be okay in the tank, anyone think this is okay? :)

are you going to go with an oto? I'm surprised a single one was recommended as they do better in groups. A single one would probably be sad and lonely and not thrive as well as in a group.

I had a small group of otos and over time as they died off, and I was left with just one It became subued and inactive.. until I got him some new mates and now he's zooming around again.

I would perhaps just suggest the Dario dario - possibly about 2-3 females and 1 male?

Otocinclus (as mentioned above) need groups of about 5+, and are highly sensitive to water conditions (due to being wild-caught). A 20L is pretty small and unfortunately doesn't allow for many fish, as it's very difficult to keep water conditions stable. This means often only 1-5 are recommended for the tank size. It sucks but it's definitely worth at first at least to only get a few fish to see how well you handle the water conditions (I've found algae issues are a right pain on tanks under 30L!).

So update on this,

I'll be picking up a 65L tank on the weekend :nilly: which has a footprint of 61cm (L) and 30cm (D) and is 38cm high. Haven't thought about stocking on this yet as went around the LFS today and there wasn't much selection so will plant it up first.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a good filter for it as my current filter won't be powerful enough, and maybe some lighting for basic planting, nothing too fancy?

If anyone feels like it I'd love any stocking suggestions or if anyone knows of any breeders in Dunedin of fish that would be good in this tank I would be really grateful as LFS were a little bare today.

Thank you so much for all your help!