Sump Water Evaporating

junglejim

Our sump water keeps evaporating meaning that our skimmer is never set at the right level. When the sump is filled the skimmer froths too high and overflows and after a day the water has evaporated to the extent that the level is too low for the froth to reach the top of the skimmer. I can never seem to set the skimmer froth to the right level as the next day I look and it needs adjusting which is a pain in the ass. The sump is 20L

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Our sump water keeps evaporating meaning that our skimmer is never set at the right level. When the sump is filled the skimmer froths too high and overflows and after a day the water has evaporated to the extent that the level is too low for the froth to reach the top of the skimmer. I can never seem to set the skimmer froth to the right level as the next day I look and it needs adjusting which is a pain in the ass. The sump is 20L

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

That's why a sump should have a separate chamber water overflows into for the return pump. That means the only area that has a changing water level is the return pump section.

Really cheap and reliable ATO that my flatmate and I use: http://www.nzmas.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14428

Only change I'd recommend to that is using two float switches in series, one slightly above the other. The top will always be open but the bottom will open/close as necessary. This prevents floods if the bottom float switch fails or has a snail on it or something.

That 12V dosing pump has a really low flow though, so depending on the amount of evaporation you have you may need to upgrade to a bigger 12V pump.