Natives for beginners

fishyNZ

Hi I am relatively new to this hobby, started about a year ago. Currently have a 350L tank, stocked with American cichlids.

This year, I am looking to "expanding my horizons" and thought, why not natives?

Anyway, planning to start small, got a spare 130L tank I bought off TradeMe. So basically, what can I do with it?

One thing of concern is how to get native fishes. They don't seem to appear in LFshops (illegal?). Should I start begging around here?

Appreciate any comments.

First what are the dimensions of the tank? If it's less than 3 feet you can't have inanga or smelt (4 foot is better) and if it's less than 4 foot you can't really keep kokopu, unless you're planning on upgrading soon....

It isn't legal to sell natives without a permit. But you can collect them from the wild yourself, just don't catch "whitebait" out of season!

And also how are you planning on keeping the temp down?

It is about 3 foot wide, so I am thinking a couple of bullies and perhaps other smaller ones...

I live in the Hutt valley but not quite the outdoorsman so not sure where the nearest "hotspots" are.

As for keeping the temp down, probably easiest path is to get a 2nd hand chiller if I can. Otherwise, a battery of brushless fans might do the trick.

Using peltier modules is an alternative albeit fancier route. Got an electronics background anyways so I might try that as well.

Thanks and appreciate the response.

Bullies and koura would be your best bet!

You don't really need a "hot spot" just an unpolluted stream....

if you do manage to diy a chiller, many of us would appreciate a step by step guide :wink:

I'm not experienced with inanga and smelt in 3 foot tanks, but watching the smelt in my tank and since they're shorter than inanga you might be able to have a small school of smelt. I think someone else would probably have a better idea on that.

No problem