burst tummy in transit (???)

Shelley

A very long time ago, due to an unfortunate incident involving my sister, I had a heater fall off the glass onto a zebra danio. It eventually died in a similar manner. Internal hemorrhaging I guess. Although I can't see how your fish could have got such a nasty knock in transit.

Neither can I :( we were very careful they sat in my daughters lap for warmth with a towel over them all the way home. I have actually had this happen with neons before in the tank(once)...for no apparant reason their lil tummy seems to split....they are guts's (guts's???) and I was horrified to think I might have fed them so much they burst! (I have also had it happen where it appears the tummy has split...but they recover ) but if this was the case I think more would have done so....the little ones i bought the other day are quite young.......and the pet shop squirted some stresscoat in the bag....I DID have a siamese fighter in the bag also, but this particular one (William) is quite peaceful. (Nigel on the other hand is beautiful but an absolute terror! lol...... Curly is a wuss.)

Shelley,

I take from your last post that you had a betta in with your neons??

If so, better do some educating in your to LFS.

I made a mistake and had two chromides in the same bag.

Opps, one dead on arrival.

The other weekend, I had two cichlids delivered for me, both in the same container, opps, one DOA.

Not good.

It only costs the LFS another bag, a little time, and a bit of their water and if you are lucky some more stress-coat.

You gain a lot bigger chance of getting your fish home alive.

By the way, the neons.

Could it have been the females that died, of so, it may have been because they were egg laden.

Just a thought mind ya.

Alan 104

Thanks Alan. So is this just when you have different varieties of fish? or is it just some that need separating? When we got our replacement for Norris (the funkiest of all fighter fish) we bought other fish also, and the Timaru store put our new fighter in a separate bag. The lady i bought 2 tanks off in Timaru said that they had bought a fighter some time back at the same store, along with other fish ...and got home to find 2 fish dead. Since then the Timaru store has bagged fighters separately (depending on who serves you.)

With this latest episode it was me that needed educating.....now that i think about it, the young girl serving me asked if i wanted them in separate bags...(initially i had said i only wanted the fighter but as she was bagging him i said...oh heck i will have a dozen neons too......) but as they had been in the same tank i assumed they would be alright...it was right on closing time for them and i just wanted to get out of their hair so ......it was me at fault :(

i prefer to think they might have been egg laden :) than to think it was my own ignorance in letting them share a bag...but they are tiny neons.... i suspect just juvenilles....would this be likely in such young fish?

Both fighters bought from that store (we had been in 20 minutes earlier and bought another one) are doing very well....such beautiful boys! The neons are still with the figther they came home with...the other fighter seems a little aggressive towards the fish we had in his tank. (Took out the fish that had been cycling the tank and put him in on his own with our sad little guppy.....have since put her into her own container floating in his tank until we get our final tank from chch....where i will put her on her own.) Darn.....I need more tanks!

Naughty Shelley.

You are the customer

You are paying for the fish

You are going to be the one that opens them up when you gethome.

What do you think you will do next time?

Even if it is close to closing time.

You are paying their wages.

Alan 104

:( i know..... and i don't even think they would have minded.....they seemed like 'those' kind of people....you know the ones...the sort that CARE about the little creatures they sell. (as opposed to the ones that just want you to open your wallet).

Agreed. Naughty me. Bad me. and yes, next time i will be more considerate of the little bodies i am buying :(

I know that Alan.

it is best to keep different fish in different bags when shipping fish.

Extra care needs to be done when shipping agressive fish, especially if they don't like each other as well.

Are you sure it wasn't an alien larvae that burst out of the tummy :wink: