What to use for rocks?

gemelee

I am wondering what everyone uses offset the pressure points caused by a large stack of rocks in their tank? I have everything ready and waiting to be set up and really want to get my cycle started but I'm nervous about putting in a lot of heavy rocks. I see eggcrate is popular in the US but not common here?

I use eggcrate. It's great, and stops them from digging right down to the glass and unsettling the rocks. It also makes the rocks more stable than against the flat glass.

I also had two rather large rocks, that my partner and I lowered down into the tank using a towel so when it touched down, it didn't crack the glass (and the tank is 60cm tall and on a cabinet, so just lifting it in was dangerous).

Depends on how thin, and what they're made on. Rocks can be pretty heavy, so whatever you use needs to be able to hold them up decently. Anything too thin, and the rocks will just compress on a point until they're touching the glass anyway.

Most chopping boards are made of High density polyethylene, or similar. Compressing them is a non issue.

If your rocks can compress that enough to touch the glass...Well, it looks like it takes approximately 4000 PSI to even dent it, so maybe you need redesign your stand also to deal with a few tonnes of rocks.