Truth about keeping melanchromis auratus??

Zalawala

Righteo, I would like as many opinions on keeping these fish, I am still unsure wether I want them as I am scared they will attack everything in my tank. And I need to make up my mind as I am picking up fish this weekend haha. I am really thinking having a corner aquarium may not hav been a good move as the territories aren't very far away from others.

Please help!!

I thought they were a bit toey, but nothing that over crowding and over feeding did not fix. IMO they are just like most other mbuna.

i totally agree with this. big numbers and heaps of food is my advice to anyone that wants to keep africans at their best. as long as you've got plenty of filtration it won't be anything but good for them as long as your feeding NLS, JBL or Sera foods designed for them.

Yeah I'm just worried that they will be in there for a while until the babies grow up and can go in and so it means they will prob be near fully grown when mid sized dems and rustys go in

At what size do they start getting aggresive (if there is one haha) and is the aggressiveness targeted more at themselves or general aggressiveness

Your tank will only be able to support a set amounts of boys. Its really important to provide lots and lots of bolt holes. Due to the feeding nature of these fish they are not as prone to Malawi bloat as say the dems. They are pretty brutal and you need to hold fast as they work out the population dynamic. They will dominate a small* specific staked out area but are otherwise very species specific in their aggression.

It is not uncommon to find a surplus male hunkered up in the top corner of tank without any fins. Keep a smaller hospital tank handy for the losers.

Im running an all Mbuna aquarium 1800.600.600 that houses 4 males and a bunch of girls amongst 6 other species of mbuna. The hierarchy has been set and things have been constant for 4months.

Mbunatank_zps6cc82cbe.png

Any pics of your tank, I would love the see how you got on with the corner matten filter. Triangular aquariums are always tricky to work with.

*the more fish the smaller the defined territory.

Well I bought 1 male 5 females about 5cm on Sunday and they are doing fine, no real aggression between them or the other fish which I was really surprised about. They were given a run around by my afra juvues who are about 3cm which I thought was quite funny haha. But so far so good.

I'm glad I got them, they look amazing in my tank.

And as for the filter, I haven't set up the mech side yet and unknowingly cut up the 30ppi to put into my fry tank! So I will be needing to buy more foam off you soon haha.

I am still trying to figure out the layout of everything and trying to find a pump that is nice and compact, but within my prize range. But once I have gotten everything in place and it has been working for a while I will out up pics and reviews of it