help identifying juveniles

adamh

Hello I wonder if anyone can help me guess what I have here. The long skiny one at the top looks to be a young kokopu or inaunga? but what about the slightly shorter stockiers ones? They seem less shy and darty - did not run straight for cover in the pond this morning when released. In the creek where I caught them were bigger fish - looked too big for inauga maybe but quite fast, did not sit still when spotlighted..maybe as its is a medium sized creek kokapu move around more as there is room to do so? Location Henderson (west Auckland), high tree cover, in a vineyard, not a single Koura sighted. Thankyou for any light you can shed.

20141014_2316142_zpsd5e6c31b.jpg

Caught (and deposed of) one .three to go. Should have guessed they were no good when they were so easy to catch. Still I have two mystery galaxiids guess I find out what they are when they grow.

good news caught the remaining Gambusia.

I have fed the two natives some grated frozen ox heart. I'll buy some fish food also does about a 50/50 mix sound right?

'

Sorry no one has replied yet edit is good but it doesnt let people know that there's a new post.

Natives are fussy so they probably won't accept commercial foods (it varies from fish to fish inanga seem to accept it more easily than kokopu and bullies) heart is a good staple diet so just mix it up a bit with live food and raw shrimp, that will be a better diet than commercial foods (unless you buy an expensive high protein good quality feed, which they may not acceot anyway)

Thanks. There seems to be enough bug life in the pond for these little fish..certainly they don't seem to interested in the grated ox heart. Maybe my torch light puts them off?

but speaking of food do you think these guys would become dinner if I put a larger kokopu say 15cm give or take in there?

You might want to try feeding them at dusk when they have come out but you can still see, if one starts eating theyll both start going for it. I got the wild fish in our drains eating after about 5 minutes. But yes the torch will probably be putting them off.

And as livingart said :fshi: :ske:

Well that is the thing. .I see these lovely, reasonably big kokopu in tiny streams. ..but where are the younger ones. .looking for something a little larger than the almost white bait sized ones (probably inauga)that I found. .something needs to eat the mosquito larvae and I don't want a goldfish!

thanks.