Update on MPI's Captive Newt Banning

ruby11

i received this email

Hi ,

We’re not yet sure what will happen to Cynops species newts in NZ. Our preliminary risk assessment work suggests they do pose a risk to our native fauna, similar to the European alpine newt (see http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/alpinenewt). As with any non-native species present in NZ that may pose risks to our economy, health and environment, it is possible that they may be regulated in order to address these risks. We will work with the pet industry and affected stakeholders prior to making any decision on this.

Kind regards,

Erik

Erik van Eyndhoven PhD | Principal Adviser Conservation

Investigation Diagnostic Centres and Response | Operations Branch

Ministry for Primary Industries | Pastoral House 25 The Terrace | PO Box 2526 | Wellington | New Zealand

Telephone: 64-4-894 0469 | Mobile: 029-894 0469 | Web: www.mpi.govt.n

its a load of crap, MPI are just trying to create jobs for themselves by identifying risks,

Allowing ships/passengers/imports is a far bigger risk, but they make so much money out of it they seems to forget about it.

It all comes down to money. main reason the aquarium industry will be nailed in the near future.

• 5 months later...

I suspect (hope) they will end up in the too hard basket. I certainly wouldn't be killing mine or handing them over willingly if they do change their status.

Money would be better spent trying to control rainbow skinks. I can't mow the lawns anymore without having them jumping out of the way.