Bully ID and Food

Silverdollarboy2

It's either crans or upland, I'm guessing upland. (We don't have them up north so I never saw the need to find out the difference)

Feeding: Animal heart with the fat cut off, worms, other bugs, bloodworms, raw shrimp and commercial food but not all natives accept it, my smelt and mullet do but the others don't even try it.

Remember to keep it nice and cool, preferably below 20.

It should eat snails, but you might have to squash them first. My bullys love squashed flys!

A tank that size will probably do for its whole life, but it depends whether you become addicted to natives and catch more or not..... Also bullys have more personality when in gtoups.

Oh and natives like caves!

I wouldn't hazard an ID off those pics. You need a good headshot and dorsal fin erect, but I suspect it's a female.

54L will do 2 - 5 of them of as long as you can keep it cool. A desk fan pointing at the water is a good trick, and keeping it in the coolest room. I'll have to turn my chiller and pump on very soon, my 430L is already getting upto 20.5 deg on warm days.

as above for food, common and Cran's tend to take to commercial food better than redfins that I've had. small worms, snails, flies, moths, backswimmers, mosquito larvae, etc will all vanish. Try nutrafin discus max for a good commercial food that all my bullies and small galaxiids have loved.

:smot: Speaking of small galaxiids, I caught nine whitebait recently (post whitebait really but caught at day and whitebait size just a wee bit up river) I think one might be a young short jaw do the have inangaish patterns only longer patches?

inanga can have very variable patterns. If I remember correctly shortjaw are smaller, and have a very indistinct pattern (just like adults). banded tend to have longer patterning.

• 2 weeks later...
Isnt it too stumpy to be a common?

No, I have commons that are way stocker. So much so that Stella said something like "wow, is that a female common?" The only bullies that Ive seen that I wouldn't say could be stumpy would be redfin and bluegill, although I've not seen uplands but believe that they tend towards stocky as well

My bet (for OP's fish) is on Crans.

Uplands have very distinct and numerous fanta-orange cheek dots (smaller in size and with sharper borders than these blotches), while Commons have three quite distinct and thin horizontal cheek stripes like whiskers.

Well, this could also be a Giant and I remember reading something about dorsal fin ray count a couple of years ago. I can't recall it in detail. Something about five or six.

My bet (for OP's fish) is on Crans.

Uplands have very distinct and numerous fanta-orange cheek dots (smaller in size and with sharper borders than these blotches), while Commons have three quite distinct and thin horizontal cheek stripes like whiskers.

Well, this could also be a Giant and I remember reading something about dorsal fin ray count a couple of years ago. I can't recall it in detail. Something about five or six.

Some times the thin stripes on their face are very faint.

I went spotlighting last night and saw hundreds of koura,dozens of bullies and 3 eels.

Dad caught these two bullies could someone please id them?the big one is 10cm and the little one is about 4-6 cms.

20141004_095806_zpsb9229828.jpg

They both appear to be common.

Also in the future please try not to keep bullies bigger than 6 cm, they have a harder time adjusting to captivity