stocking ideas

Noonie

I have a 54l juwel cycling and no idea what to do with it. I was going to use it for dwarf puffers but at $29.90 each, I'm reluctant.

I have a 240l planted community tank so looking for something a bit different ( still planted though).

Would some smaller cichlids be an option ? Maybe blue rams?

:dno:

• 2 weeks later...
Can't beat a swarm of 20 - 30 male Tiger Endler and a few pygmy corys in a nice planted tank.

The wait for photos is killing me!

:smot: JaSa, I checked out the wicked photos in your signature's link, and was struck by how the colour scheme of your Tiger Endlers resembled that of an old coarse snakeskin I had. Do you know of anyone breeding coarse snakeskins with that colour scheme (lots of glowing green/yellow and black and a blue shoulder patch)?

Hi there,

as far as I can tell by my test crossing, the Tiger Endler here in NZ are either Y-linked Galaxy + Tigrinus/Zebrinus or just Y-linked Tigrinus/Zebrinus and X-linked Snakeskin. I would suggest to grab any male Yellow Snakeskin out of the shops and cross it with a Tiger female. That way the male hopefully brings a bit of colour with him but mainly a decent size caudal fin is what we need from him; the female will sort out the rest.

Good luck,

JaSa

I'm keeping some blue moscows, which have large caudal fins that don't have sharp corners; I guess an F2 cross of female moscow x male Tiger could give the sort of snakeskin that I'm after?

The main difficulty is that the metalhead is probably y-linked and if the tigrinus/zebrinus is also, then to get a snakeskin with just the snakeskin pattern I'd have to use another male somewhere down the line. But hopefully by then I'd have the colour and body sorted.