What lights should I use?

junglejim

There is no way the 60cm lights will be bright enough for a 1m tank, unless you put wide optics on, and then you will lose intensity.

For that budget your only options for somewhat decent lights will be DIY.

If you skimp on lights your corals simply won't grow, and will look crappy. Decent lights is the single most important purchase for your tank.

There is a common saying "buy cheap buy twice", and it really IS true. If you try to buy real budget lights you will either get poor growth or give up, or end up buying better ones later anyways.

Hi all,

Anyone able to advise on the best cost effective lights for a tank with coral?

Tank is 200L 1m long

I was thinking of getting an led one from fish-street.com but their descriptions are crap and I can't figure out which one I need.

Thanks for any help.

I thought you already had a tank with coral? Or are you setting up another?

Coral Box have proven growth on my sps over my tank.

14798180674_43ae82eeb3.jpg14729969972_cab9fa5bbb.jpg

I have them at 65% intensity, 200mm above the water. Tank is 400mm deep and the light is still too bright for zoas on the bottom but fine for the sps.

You can raise the lights up say 400-500mm to get a bigger light coverage but will need to increase the light intensity.

So my opinion on the Coral box is they work great. But yes you might have to buy the bigger unit if you are wanting higher demanding corals if light coverage is is an issue. On a 1000mm long tank, a 600 light unit will be pushing it and you will get dark spots at the ends of the tank. And the mounting legs only extend 180mm each side.

• 1 month later...