Betta & Borneo Issues

Dropped

Hi,

A month ago my partner gave me my first Betta and fish tank for my birthday, he is awesome and doing great so far. However she also gave me a borneo sucker fish at the same time.

After 1 day the borneo became very shy and did not come out of his little crashed helicopter very often, I had not seen him in a day or so, so i picked up the crashed helicopter and he floated out minus half his face.... im guessing my Betta ate it??

At this point i checked the water PH (which was fine) and decided to give the water a change as i was told a dead fish gives of some chemicals which are not good for other fish, so the water was changed.

Three weeks later, i decided that it was time to get another sucker fish as my betta has had long enough to settle into the tank. So i went down to the local pet store (chain store you can guess which one) and picked one out, which the pet store worker then chased around the tank for ten mins before managing to catch the poor little guy.

Got home and changed half the water in the tank (floated the new borneo in the bag in the tank while cleaning). Once the water had changed and i had checked the PH & temp (borneo had been floating in the tank for 20 mins) i let the new little guy into his new home, careful not to let too much of the water from the bag into the tank.

My betta was pretty interested in the borneo to start with but this soon passed... the borneo was very active and was zooming around the tank like it had been in its previous home. Then after two days he was not moving much and was not very active, he was eating at the start with no problems but towards the end he would not eat.

This morning i thought he looked very still and found that he was dead sleeping on the bottom. (only had the fish for 3 days)

does anyone have any ideas to what is going on?

Is my Betta giving them such a hard time they die?

Could he be to aggressive for a tank mate?

At this point until i find out what is going on i wont put anything else in the tank as its not fair on the poor wee fish.

Borneo suckers are cold water fish I thought? What temperature are you running?

That was going to be my question - Borneo are temperate fish - temperature around 18 - 22, good current like a flowing stream preferred, soft substrate and rocks with algae on to graze on.

Fighters are warm water fish - temps 26 - 28 preferred and don't like current.

It is possible your fighter is 'nipping' at the borneo sucker during lights out. I've seen them take out bn fry at about 1.5cm by persistent nipping.

He's pretty nice looking :)