Stocking options/suggestions please

kaycee

Hi every one,

We have a 560l tank 1860*550*550 with a 80 litre sump, our pump cycles approx 3600 litres per hour and we currently have 3 silver dollars 15+cms, a lace synodontis 25+cm and a baby red spot plec.

Our substrate is sand and we have a large bit of wood and some river stones in the tank. I have just added 4 smallish plants to see what happens with the silver dollars - day 3 sees a few nibbles from the edges of some leaves but they are not demolished!

We would like to create a more community feel about the tank after previously having large fish (oscars, severems) and I just wanted to check any compatibility issues with you all... it seems like a life time since I had a community tank lol

Fish we like are:

A school of neons (or another tetra)

my son reeeeeeaaly wants angel fish but I am reluctant after owning some very aggresive ones previoulsy

Partner would like to add a shark of some description (my head is saying no lol)

a group of Corys

Are there any other fish you think would be cool?

Thanks in advance for your advice :bggrn:

The neons may become snacks for the silver dollars but you could try any of the deeper bodied tetras.

Angelfish might be ok I have one with my silver dollars,but sometimes the silver dollars fin nip the angels.

A shark would be fine but stay away from the territorial ones like black or red tailed sharks.

Cories are a good for choice your tank.

I would be rehoming the Silver Dollars and going for a peaceful planted community tank.

I had Angel's and Neons together with no issues, I tend to get them when they're smaller then they grow up with each other and don't seem to both with each other when they're older.

Could go with: Angels. Swordtails, Platties, Serpae's, Black Widows, Glowlights, Scissortails, Penguins, Neon's plenty of choices if you go to a peacful setup.

I'd look at rehoming the silver dollars and redspot plec in favour of smaller alternatives. Big school of tetras, corydoras, smaller cichlids, angels, smaller plecs, etc etc. Could add rasboras and smaller loaches if you don't care about mixing different localities. Planted or not, with sandy substrate and some good big tangled/branchy bits of wood you could create a very interesting tank.

When I was starting out in the hobby a wise man once told me "a guppy would eat a great white shark if its mouth were big enough"...

LOL that is a great quote :) Having kept Oscars I spose I should know that as they will try and get anything in their mouths!

the above post is so true.

Angel fish are eating machines no way would I keep neons or any other small fish in the same tank.

I don't trust them, my son just thinks they are cool...... Any suggestions for another fish that a 10 year old boy would consider cool that would be safe?

Yesterday he saw a puffer and fell in love with that but as far as I can see they are not community fish either

Angels will be fine with anything other than the smallest tetras. Anything high bodied (lemons, for example) will be ok. Festivums are cool too, but I suspect an adult festivum would be every bit as capable (if not more so) of gulping down a neon tetra than an angelfish.